Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - question about on and kun readings

question about on and kun readings

Japanese, general discussion on the language

question about on and kun readings

Postby weirdo36 » Thu 10.25.2007 2:30 pm

Hi first of sorry if this information was somewhere else on the site also but i coudn't find it trough search.

My question is, does it matter if a meaning of a kanji is on or kun?
The reason i am asking this is because i started learning kanji but after the first 50 kanji i learned i started noticiting i am able to remember all of the meanings of a kanji that i learned so far But i am forgetting if the meaning is kun or on.
So my question is do i need to know if a reading of kanji is on or kun?
weirdo36

RE: question about on and kun readings

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 10.25.2007 3:58 pm

the meaning of a character is not it's reading.. on and kun are how you read the character. it's meaning is the same no matter how you read it.

in otherwords the character for wind still means wind whether you read it kaze or fu(n)
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 10.25.2007 4:00 pm

Technically no, but it can be helpful.

You should be learning words though, and doing reading practice, not just learning meanings and readings.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby weirdo36 » Thu 10.25.2007 5:47 pm

Well i thought that learning the jlpt 4 kanji list first and then all of the radicals would be the best for me, since reading practices won't work if i don't know any kanji at all yet.
also what i ment with the reading was the sound it would make in japanese. for example i would practice the word inside/middle/center 中if i would read it i would know Ah ! the readings are チュウ なか うち あた(る) But sounds i would be remembering the sounds i would completely forget if Chuu is on or kun reading. Anyway seems like the question was asnwered and it seems that it doesn't matter if i know if a reading is on or kun.

so thank you for the informaiton.
weirdo36

Postby bombush » Thu 10.25.2007 6:17 pm

Don't worry about the kun/on readings. There are certain sound patterns in kun and on readings which become clearly audible after a little while. Because on (sino-japanese) reading come from the chinese reading of the character and kun (japanese) reading is the japanese one, they don't sound the same for a trained ear.

And if you learn the word "なか” and the character for it (中), you have just learned a kun reading without even knowing it.

EDIT: English grammar
Last edited by bombush on Thu 10.25.2007 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bombush

Return to Japanese General Discussion