Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dirty Threads

Dirty Threads

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Dirty Threads

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.20.2005 1:03 am

Seriously, you guys have the FREAKIEST idea of what decora are. I hardly thought that that 'cow' thing was the least bit inappropriate. It seemed to me to be a frank and honest discussion of the problem of obesity with the American populace. Why it is wrong to say that American women are becoming unhealthily corpulent, I will never know. How old are you, who find these things offensive? I am 19 - by no means old - and I do not find this at all offensive. Having reached the age of 10, one should be able to hear a discussion regarding fatness and the fact that Americans are far fatter than any other human populace, without his ears burning.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 07.20.2005 1:50 am

This is completely an aside, but CCVM, I find it so wierd that you are a 19 year old who uses the word decora and corpulent in a sentence.

I think I'm going to have my wife study english from your posts from now on. :D
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.20.2005 2:21 am

Oh. Thank you. :) ::blushes::

;)
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Mukade » Wed 07.20.2005 12:16 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
This is completely an aside, but CCVM, I find it so wierd that you are a 19 year old who uses the word decora and corpulent in a sentence.

I think I'm going to have my wife study english from your posts from now on. :D

Yes, but does he know the word: sesquipedalianism?

:)
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.20.2005 4:34 pm

I'm not a 'sesquipedalist'; I use obscure, pretentious words - not long ones. :)
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Wed 07.20.2005 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Shibakoen » Wed 07.20.2005 8:47 pm

but you still use the word "fatness." As an aside, I did think the "How to pick up a Japanese woman" thread was in poor taste but it's not that bad.
Shibakoen

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.20.2005 10:56 pm

Not every sentence can be relegated to the obscure and difficult to understand; try as I might, not every word can be of the esoteric sort.

Besides, I don't think it a good thing to try - just for the sake of a bombastic, and rhetorical style - to use the most 'difficult' words one can think of (of which one can think.) To this end - that of speaking with a more colloquial - and, thus, humble - toungue, one should use some common words now and again - though there should be a more recondite one to use. "Fatness" was used for variety's, and facile understanding's sake; although, I might have used: ponderousness, rotundity, portliness, corpulence, et cetera...

P.S. The thread regarding fat, 'cowish' American women was not of 'poor taste' at all. I didn't see anything wrong with it. To call a woman a cow is not so much an epithet (at least in this case) as it is, in my opinion, a dysphemism. Besides, it is and was a fact, which was merely being reported, that it is and was the wont of certain Japanese women to call American women 'cows,' as an allusion to their hefty frames - which many American women do have. If that is poor taste in your opinion, then I can hardly think of something which you should think to be of an appropriate nature.
Though, to be fair, there was talk of cud-eating, which is perhaps a bit gross.

(By the way, in case this wasn't already clear, I was trying to do in this post just what I was saying was not a good thing - for the cause of veiled humour. ;) )

EDIT*********

I just thought of this. What is wrong with the word, "Fatness"? It is a real word. It is also perfectly reasonable to use it in such a context as that in which I did use it.
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Wed 07.20.2005 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Shibakoen » Thu 07.21.2005 1:01 am

The infamous 'cow' thread wasn't the one I refered to as being tasteless. There's a thread called "How to woo a Japanese woman." I thought that was a bit tasteless.

As far as 'fatness,' I was just expecting something more artful like 'corpulence' or something. It just struck me as one word kind of out of place, not by its meaning or context, but rather because it was kinda clumsy. And there are plenty of words that are certainly not "the most difficult" choice but would seem to fit better in your prose. Obesity immidiately springs to mind. I am very impressed impressed by your writing ability, not everyone can use the words 'esoteric' or 'bombastic' properly. I'm not sure I could. Hell, I'm going to have to look up 'dysphemism'. EDIT: Aaa, I had no idea that was the opposite of euphemism, but it makes total sense.

It's just obvious you compose your posts. Whether you spend forever working on one or maybe it just comes naturally, you obviously take great care to express yourself eloquently. It's like that one line in a fantastic movie that the actor read improperly which nags at your brain every time you watch it. One concrete example I can think of is in the movie Gladiator. Toward the end, as Maximus lies dead on the floor of the Coloseum, the Emperor's sister shows up and starts that "He was a soldier of Rome..." speach. Then that Senator guy says "Who will help me carry him?" Ruined the entire movie for me. Ugh, I have to like get up and go get a drink or something, anything, just not to see that scene. It's like peanut butter on the roof of my mouth. Well, your 'fatness' wasn't as bad as that. Anyway, I hope you got the sense of what I tried to say. It's one in the morning and I'm going to bed.
Last edited by Shibakoen on Thu 07.21.2005 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Thu 07.21.2005 1:28 am

I understand what you are saying.

Let me clarify things: It is not necessarily my intention to be as eloquent as I can be; I say what comes to mind. If it should have entered into mind to say 'fatness' and 'decora' (plural of decorum) in the same sentence - or paragraph - I say them - regardless of whether they are in complete phonetic concordance or not. I submit that 'fatness' is a more clumsy word that some other words of kindred meaning; however, for whatever reason, I did not use another word because I thought to say nothing else, to be perfectly honest.

And, no, I do not spend a particularly inordinate amount of time in the composition of my posts; but I wouldn't say that I rush through them, writing just whatever, completely disregarding punctuation and orthographic concerns, either.

Thank you for your eulogy of my writing style - even if it wasn't your intention to dole out compliment. :) Though, I would like to add, I wouldn't say that mine is any better than yours or Harisenbon's. Frankly, I don't know why it has garnered any attention. Good grammar is an inexorable consequence of having learned Latin, which is not a particularly difficult language to learn; one cannot come to a good understanding of Latin grammar without, at the same time, coming to an archetypal understanding of English grammar. Truly, to those who should be desirous of the ability to speak English well, I would recommend the study of Latin - if only a cursory, non-committal one.
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 07.21.2005 2:22 am

CCVM,

Thanks for mentioning me by name, but I contest that your writing style is at the same level as mine. My writing (and speaking) seems to have stopped at a Jr High 3rd grade level, which is the highest level at which I teach.

And that's not an ENGLISH speaking 3rd grade level. That's Japanese 3rd grade. So the extent of my writing stops at about "This is a pen. I like my pen. Do you like pen?" :D
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion