Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kana symbols are not consistent on different learning sites

Kana symbols are not consistent on different learning sites

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Kana symbols are not consistent on different learning sites

Postby blueninja12 » Thu 07.21.2005 12:40 pm

Hey.. I'm in the process of learning my Hiragana, but I've come across some of them that are written in different ways. For example.. The symbol for KI that looks like a key isn't that same on another website. It is four strokes on another one. should I memorize both forms of it.. because some of them look a lot different. or would learning just the forms on this page be perfect. thanks for the help
blueninja12

RE: Kana symbols are not consistent on different learning si

Postby MenomaMinx » Thu 07.21.2005 3:01 pm

Iran into this when I was first learning too and it drove me absolutely bonkers!

The worst culprit is the character for so in hiragana. Followed by any character that has a tail to it on the bottom.. And then you're going to discover the one stroke wonders of the world, who believe they never actually have to lift their pen to write any character despite centuries of teaching to the contrary ;-)

Yes, hand written Japanese is a mess that has leaped over to the electronic media format. However, is it really so surprising, considering the mess most people make when writing English characters ;-)

My advice to you would be go to the store if you're still learning and learn the writing style taught in the two books called

"Let's Learn Hiragana" and "Let's Learn Katakana"

As they have the most natural looking results from their teaching methods for writing the kana.

For reading other people's handwriting, including Web sites various fonts; your first instinct was correct in that you're going to have to memorize the other potential writings of the characters.
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
http://www.quickdonations.com/ http://www.donationjunction.com
MenomaMinx

RE: Kana symbols are not consistent on different learning si

Postby blueninja12 » Thu 07.21.2005 3:13 pm

thank you
blueninja12

Return to Japanese General Discussion