Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Do Japanese people get excited when you speak their language

Do Japanese people get excited when you speak their language

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Do Japanese people get excited when you speak their language

Postby StarvingMusician » Sun 11.18.2007 5:01 am

It's just a curious thought, and here are some other things...how many japanese friends do you have? Are any of them nutty old men who scream 'SAKE!'? Do you get the cold shoulder? What about the ladies, do they get excited when you know the language. Do Japanese gangsters wanna jack your wallet? Give details or stories if you got any!
"If we've only got one try, if we've only got one life. If time, was never on our side. Well before I die, I wanna burn out bright."
StarvingMusician

RE: Do Japanese people get excited when you speak their lang

Postby faranora » Sun 11.18.2007 5:28 am

well I dunno about excited but we had some Japanese exchange students this year and Yuko used to at least pretend to appreciate it when I did my best to speak japanese with her.
sorry just because you can say \"かわいい\" does NOT make you sound cool >_<
faranora

Postby Shirasagi » Sun 11.18.2007 7:15 am

- Do Japanese people get excited when you speak their language fluently?

No, at most they are mildly impressed.

- How many japanese friends do you have?

I'd say about two real friends, and then a truckload of friendly acquaintances.

- Are any of them nutty old men who scream 'SAKE!'?

No.

- Do you get the cold shoulder?

No.

- What about the ladies, do they get excited when you know the language[?]

Nope. If anything, the opposite.

- Do Japanese gangsters wanna jack your wallet?

No. Foreigners will find few people friendlier to them than gangsters.

- Give details or stories if you got any!

No stories. Just life.
Last edited by Shirasagi on Sun 11.18.2007 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 11.18.2007 10:50 am

The better your Japanese is, the less excited they get.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 11.18.2007 11:58 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
The better your Japanese is, the less excited they get.

This is partly true, I think. ;)
it also depends on what they expect your language level to be.

My work has never been surprised at my Japanese level, because I'm expected to be as good as a Japanese person at Japanese. I'm often made fun of when I screw up. :/

However, when I go down the the neighborhood 市役所 where most of the foreginers don't speak Japanese, and I'm not expected to speak Japanese, I get gushed over about how good my Japanese is.

My friends of course don't give a rats ass about my Japanese.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby ess_jay_arr » Mon 11.19.2007 7:38 am

Shirasagi wrote:

No. Foreigners will find few people friendlier to them than gangsters.

Is that true?! If so, where's the best place for me to meet some gangsters in Tokyo? :P

Shirasagi wrote:

Nope. If anything, the opposite.

Really? Geez. I've been (half-jokingly) thinking that the only way to stay here would be to teach English or get married! And I don't wanna teach... but if the girls are the opposite of excited when you speak Japanese, I'm guessing they prefer it if you speak English... which pretty much equates to the same thing. :|
ess_jay_arr

Postby Rypervenche » Mon 11.19.2007 9:52 am

"Do Japanese people get excited when you speak their language fluently?"

Let me ask you something, do you get excited when a Japanese person speaks English fluently? I thought not :P
Rypervenche

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.19.2007 10:22 am

Rypervenche wrote:
"Do Japanese people get excited when you speak their language fluently?"

Let me ask you something, do you get excited when a Japanese person speaks English fluently? I thought not :P

did you just answer your own question? that's a bit presumptuous isn't it. Being an American, I do get excited when a foreigner speaks English, as I know the difficulty of learning a 2nd language.

So, let me ask you a question. What is your major malfuction ....... ?
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 11.19.2007 10:36 am

There actually is a sort of bell curve for the relation between demonstrated Japanese ability and the tendency for anyone to remark upon it. Beyond a certain point it actually becomes rather rare for people to offer praise, show surprise, or even comment on it at all.

I recently went to the annual recital of a traditional Japanese dance troupe (日本舞踊), where I knew absolutely no one, and photographed it just for my own amusement. I subsequently gave prints to the group, indicated that I would like to do more photography for them, and was invited to shoot a charity performance they were giving at a local hospital. I did that, and then visited their studio and spent about three hours gabbing with them. They subsequently adopted me as their official staff photographer. A small portion of the photos can be seen here if anyone is interested. Forgive the inadvertent double posting of one image.

Would you believe that not one of them has yet made the slightest comment about the fact that I could hold up my end of the conversation?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby leergierig » Mon 11.19.2007 12:10 pm

Thanks for the photos, Mike. They are so vibrant and you've done a great job capturing that. By the way, seeing that old avatar was almost nostalgic.

But I should get back on topic. I think "relief" can eclipse "excitement" when hearing someone speak your language well. I know that this is usually the case for me. Although, I have to say that I could not help being impressed by a US missionary friend recently. He spoke Afrikaans (OK, granted it was spoken very haltingly), but just because I have never heard that from an American before, I was totally awed.

So perhaps I should rephrase my earlier statement to:

I think "relief" can eclipse "excitement" when hearing someone speak your language well, provided that you already have some expectation of that person being able to do so (which is in essence what Harisenbon has already said) :D.
This goes for all languages, not just Japanese.
Last edited by leergierig on Mon 11.19.2007 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leergierig

Postby JaySee » Mon 11.19.2007 12:47 pm

ess_jay_arr wrote:
be to teach English or get married! And I don't wanna teach... but if the girls are the opposite of excited when you speak Japanese, I'm guessing they prefer it if you speak English... which pretty much equates to the same thing. :|

Getting a Japanese girlfriend is actually quite easy if youre white; I've always been surprised at how the ugliest white people seem to be able to get the hottest (though usually somewhat trashy) Japanese women. If you go to certain clubs that foreigners are known to go to, the Japanese women there can really be all over you. Though of course you'd have to be ok with the fact that they're only with you because you're white/speak English, and other than that don't really care about who you really are.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby kitamichibi » Mon 11.19.2007 1:02 pm

JaySee wrote:

Getting a Japanese girlfriend is actually quite easy if youre white; I've always been surprised at how the ugliest white people seem to be able to get the hottest (though usually somewhat trashy) Japanese women. If you go to certain clubs that foreigners are known to go to, the Japanese women there can really be all over you. Though of course you'd have to be ok with the fact that they're only with you because you're white/speak English, and other than that don't really care about who you really are.

Is it the same thing with getting a japanese boyfriend?
私は弱虫です[わたしはよわむしです]
kitamichibi

Postby ess_jay_arr » Mon 11.19.2007 9:17 pm

JaySee wrote:
Though of course you'd have to be ok with the fact that they're only with you because you're white/speak English, and other than that don't really care about who you really are.

LOL, sell my dignity and individuality for a piece of Japanese ass?

... I'll think about it. :D

I once read a very long forum post by a guy who did just that (not that I imagine it's uncommon or anything), and he said that the first time he spoke a single word of Japanese to his 'girlfriend', she looked at him like she'd been slapped, reminded him "you are foreign boyfriend" and demanded he spoke nothing but English... so he threw her out of his apartment! :D

Edit: 'threw', not 'through'... it's early. :|
Last edited by ess_jay_arr on Mon 11.19.2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ess_jay_arr

Postby Kisshu » Mon 11.19.2007 9:35 pm

LOL. Haha.. I have somewhere around 50 give or take a few... lol.. and they are all college age.. so I don't have the Sake aspect.
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby succubus » Tue 11.20.2007 12:56 am

Yeh, what JaySee said. It's ridiculously easy to get a Japanese girlfriend if you're a foreign guy. If you have no problem with the fact that they don't give a crap about anything but your skin tone. And maybe your eye colour.

And nope, the same is very much not true about getting a Japanese boyfriend. You'll get the odd couple of guys who're excited to try out their English, but generally, Japanese men seem to be really intimidated by gaijin women. When I go out I get hit on by loads of Japanese men, who want to try out their English, but they disappear fairly shortly afterwards. Though maybe that's a problem with my personality. :P

As for the OP's questions:

- Do Japanese people get excited when you speak their language fluently?

No. What others have said. If you speak a little you get tons of "jouzu"s, but as soon as you're at conversation level it all disappears.

- How many japanese friends do you have?

A few.

- Are any of them nutty old men who scream 'SAKE!'?

Um. No. I've never even seen anyone who does that.

- Do you get the cold shoulder?

Yes.

Yes, but usually only drunk ones in clubs who want token gaijin friends.

What Shirasagi said. The only gangsters I've met were really friendly.
succubus

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion