Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Ikaga, genki & okage sama de.

Ikaga, genki & okage sama de.

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Ikaga, genki & okage sama de.

Postby StarvingMusician » Wed 11.21.2007 1:08 am

I was listening to this audio tape, and they told me a new way of asking about someone's well being. 'Ikaga desu ka?' And then there's 'ogenki desu ka?'
I've never really heard 'ikaga' before, what's the diff. between genki and ikaga?

After replying to the 'how are you question' They pull 'okage sama de' I guess this is suppose to show appreciation that the person is asking about your health? Fill me in with your guy's vast knowledge!
"If we've only got one try, if we've only got one life. If time, was never on our side. Well before I die, I wanna burn out bright."
StarvingMusician

RE: Ikaga, genki & okage sama de.

Postby chikara » Wed 11.21.2007 1:17 am

Have you been listening to Pimsleur?

"Ikaga desu ka" is "How are you?"
"Genki desu ka" is "Are you well?"

"Okage sama de" literally means "thanks to you/god" but it is similar to the American saying "And thanks for asking"
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby StarvingMusician » Wed 11.21.2007 1:37 am

chikara wrote:
Have you been listening to Pimsleur?

Yes. I went to the library and they had it. Is it any good?
"If we've only got one try, if we've only got one life. If time, was never on our side. Well before I die, I wanna burn out bright."
StarvingMusician

Postby chikara » Wed 11.21.2007 2:05 am

I have Pimsleur Speak and Understand Japanese 1,2 and 3 and I found listening to the audio a useful supplement to my other Japanese studies. I would not recommend them as a primary source of Japanese study though.
Last edited by chikara on Wed 11.21.2007 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Wed 11.21.2007 5:11 am

chikara wrote: I would not recommend them as a primary source of Japanese study though.

I agree with that. I had all three and got to about 2.5 (almost to the 3rd one) before losing interest completely. It's really good for pronunciation, but it's pretty formal and doesn't (as far as I know) cover much informal grammar at all.

About ikaga - On the last track of the first unit (which is after track 30, it's called like 'supplemental' something or other) it said that ikaga wasn't used a whole lot and genki is used much more often, although genki isn't used nearly as much in Japanese as the English 'How are you' equivalent. They apparently don't ask that as a conversation starter like we do in English without a reason (like they haven't seen someone in a while, or if someone looks sad or something). I noticed that in dramas and stuff like that too, so I'm going to assume it's right (although I've never been to Japan, so that's only my assumption).
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby hungryhotei » Wed 11.21.2007 8:21 am

Ikaga is really just a more polite version of dou.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby adam » Wed 11.21.2007 9:01 am

If ikaga desu ka really meant "how are you", it would be really funny walking through a market and hearing a bunch of old women clerks chanting "how are you? how are you?"
adam

Postby chikara » Wed 11.21.2007 6:25 pm

adam wrote:
If ikaga desu ka really meant "how are you", it would be really funny walking through a market and hearing a bunch of old women clerks chanting "how are you? how are you?"

It's all about context.

Here is the transcript of the exchange in Pimsleur that the OP is referring to;

A. おはよう ございます。 いかが ですか
B. げんき です。 おかげさまで。
A. ああ、 にほんごが わかりますね。
B. はい、 すこし。 でも、 まだ じょうず じゃ ありません。
A. あなたは アメリカじん ですか。
B. はい。

So what do you believe "ikaga desu ka" really means in the above context?

Maybe you translate it as "I'm a smart arse" ;)
chikara

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.26.2007 11:04 am

chikara wrote:

Maybe you translate it as "I'm a smart arse" ;)

you aren't? hmm, then you have me confused.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby bulgogi » Fri 11.30.2007 2:58 am

couldn't you also use "ikaga desu ka" as "what about this?" For example, when you are in a store and you're asking one of the employees something about an item, couldn't you point and say "ikaga desu ka" to say "what about this one?" ?
bulgogi

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 11.30.2007 3:40 am

bulgogi wrote:
couldn't you also use "ikaga desu ka" as "what about this?" For example, when you are in a store and you're asking one of the employees something about an item, couldn't you point and say "ikaga desu ka" to say "what about this one?" ?

adam wrote:
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Japanese General Discussion