Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Sentence ending in kanji?

Sentence ending in kanji?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Sentence ending in kanji?

Postby JJ Gregarius » Tue 08.02.2005 10:53 pm

I'm a rank novice learner of Japanese, but I'd thought I would be fun to look at a Japanese web page concerning the video game Star Fox in [url="http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/〜jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?9T"]WWWJDIC[/url] (change the %81` to a 〜 to make the link work. I'm having difficulty posting it on this board correctly.)

However, I discovered something new to me in the text, namely the sentence

「やとわれ遊撃隊」ことスターフォックスの4人は、コーネリア防衛隊のペパーの要請に応じ、母艦グレートフォックス号に乗って登場.

AFAIK, this sentence doesn't actually end in a verb, although the 登場 could be a verb with suru.
Is 登場 acting like a verb with the suru part implied?

In any event, this sentence is basically talking about the arrival of the Star Fox squad on their mother ship, with登場 being used as a motion verb with 乗って, correct?

---
EDIT:
Around 45 views and no replies: a bad sigh, ne?

Let me restate my question. Can a Japanese sentence end in a suru verb yet leave out the "suru" part?
Last edited by JJ Gregarius on Thu 08.04.2005 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJ Gregarius

RE: Sentence ending in kanji?

Postby JJ Gregarius » Thu 08.04.2005 3:42 pm

Sorry about this. I thought the edit would bump my post up. If I didn't make this reply, I'm not sure anyone would realized I made some changes to my question. (If a tree falls in the middle of the woods and no-one hears it...)
JJ Gregarius

Postby Schattenjedi » Fri 08.05.2005 8:21 am

I think 登場 is a noun which is being described by コーネリア防衛隊のペパーの要請に応じ、母艦グレートフォックス号に乗って. Not entirely sure though. The sentence is out of my league. :)
Schattenjedi

Postby JJ Gregarius » Fri 08.05.2005 2:51 pm

Thanks for the reply, anyway.

Well, first here's how I'm parsing the sentence, using the WWWJDIC word "translator," and its online dictionary:

* やとわれ遊撃隊 would be something like the hired commando squad or even, making an educated guess, mercenary/soldiers-of-fortune commando squad(やとわれ being the -masu stem for 雇(やと)われます, "to be hired," I guess?)

* ことスターフォックスの4人は is something like "known as the Star Fox Four/Squad/Team, etc." which, combined with the phrase above, is the topic of the sentence.

* コーネリア防衛隊のペパーの要請に応じ I believe means "responding to the request by Pepper of the Cornelia Defense Force,"
(応じ comes from 応じる (to respond, to accept, etc.). According to http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/, it is some sort of verbal noun (UPDATE: See below). If I really knew Japanese, I could read that dictionary better.)

* 母艦グレートフォックス号に is "on/at/etc. [their] mother ship called the Great Fox"

* 乗って is the -te form of 乗る,( to board, to ride in, etc.)
and

* 登場 is a noun meaning entry (into a play or story, etc.), appearance, etc. However, 登場する would be a verb being "to appear"or "to arrive."

If the する was implied, the above means:
Responding to the request by Pepper of the Corneria Defense Force, the hired (mercenary?) command squad known as the Star Fox team arrived ("entered the scene"?) aboard their mother ship, the Great Fox.

Otherwise I get:
It's (the game's) debut is the hired (mercenary?) commando squad known as the Star Fox team boarding their mother ship, the Great Fox, in response to the request by Pepper of the Corneria Defense Force.

As AFAIK nothing important happens until the squad reaches the planet Corneria, the former translation makes more sense to me, but I had to wink at grammar I thought I knew to get it, which is why I posted this here instead of in the "translations" forum.

Anyway, my translation is probably rather off. I'm more interested in the grammar at this point, as my vocabulary is nowhere near sufficient to read this sentence without using a dictionary for nearly every word. You could say that sentence was way out of my league, as well.

UPDATE: I reread the dictionary. The verb >応じる< is the equivalent of a nominal verb/verbal noun 応ずる, so called because it you can think of it as 応 (word part meaning application/response; I'm not sure if it's a word on its own) and a modified form of our friend する.

The dictionary doesn't have 応じ, but it doesn't have 応じます (polite form), either. Apparently, it can't search for conjugations (Bummer!). However, I gather from other sources (Tae Kim's guide at http://www.guidetojapanese.org/, etc) and context that 応じ is a special form (-masu stem?)of 応じる, a verbal noun that can act like an adverb, as I guessed in the translation above. Most online grammar sites don't go into this form much (if at all). I must wonder; is this usage uncommon, or just difficult?
Last edited by JJ Gregarius on Sun 08.07.2005 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JJ Gregarius

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems