Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Names in Kanji

Names in Kanji

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Names in Kanji

Postby somenube » Thu 04.17.2008 4:16 pm

So I was wondering what my name would be in kanji so I looked up the archaic meaning of Jacob. I know foreign names are written in katakana, ジェーコブ、but I just wanted to know what it would look\sound like anyways. The meaning of the name, Jacob, is "held by heel" so I found the kanji 持, (to hold) and 踵. (heel) So would I use the onyomi reading for both of the kanji or use もつ and かかと because they are the words to hold and heel? Thanks in advance. :)
somenube

Re: Names in Kanji

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 04.17.2008 8:04 pm

You can use any combination of readings you want; they will all sound equally absurd to a native speaker.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby somenube » Thu 04.17.2008 8:51 pm

Lol, ok thanks anyways.
somenube

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 04.17.2008 9:14 pm

That might have sounded facetious, but I was being serious. 持踵 is not a Japanese name, so there is no standard way to read it; you just have to choose whatever sounds best.

And you probably know this, but if you try to use 持踵 as your name, regardless of the pronunciation, it's like a Japanese person introducing herself as "Middle rice-paddy Snow Child."
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby spin13 » Thu 04.17.2008 11:55 pm

I would laugh pretty hard (at your expense) if you chose じしょう as the reading of 持踵. 自称 indeed!

はじめまして。本名はジェーコブですけど、持踵と自称します。よろしっーーーえっ?なぜ笑うんですか?
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby chikara » Fri 04.18.2008 1:52 am

somenube wrote:So I was wondering what my name would be in kanji so I looked up the archaic meaning of Jacob. I know foreign names are written in katakana, ジェーコブ....

Personally I write "Jacob" as ジェイコブ in katakana.

somenube wrote:.... I just wanted to know what it would look\sound like anyways. The meaning of the name, Jacob, is "held by heel" so I found the kanji 持, (to hold) and 踵. (heel) ....

"Jacob" is of Hebrew origin and effectively means "he who supplants" or more simply "successor". The "held by heal" bit comes from an interpretation that the "successor" trips up the person he succeeds. So your kanji name would be 後継 (こうけい) although I agree with Chris-san as to the absurdity of you using a kanji name.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby somenube » Fri 04.18.2008 10:52 am

I never intended to use my name in kanji. I was just wanted to know how it would work\look and sound. LOL I know that foreigners should stay away from the kanji. But I had some fun trying anyways. :P
somenube

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems