Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Advanced keyboard problem

Advanced keyboard problem

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Advanced keyboard problem

Postby Christian_ » Sun 08.14.2005 7:27 pm

hi i followed some instructions and i sucessfully got the language bar and it works its just i made the input hiragana so im supposed to get hiragana and it gives me katakana, also its incorrect i will now type CHI and KA, ソクニ ノチ thats what i got from typing CHI and KA respectively. if im not mistaken it says nkuni and nochi instead of CHI and KA. can anyone tell me whats wrong? its not even in hiragana i switched to katakana and that didnt make it hiragana either so im at hiragana typing messed up katakana, please help lol. I also dont know how to type kanji and switch from hiragana to katakana to kanji but i guess that doesnt matter yet until i fix my problem any help is appreciated thanks
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

RE: Advanced keyboard problem

Postby mandolin » Sun 08.14.2005 9:20 pm

OK. You're in actual kana input mode, which makes each key display a different kana character (like a real japanese keyboard).

1) 'restore' the language bar so it takes it out of your start menu bar
2) Look all the way to the right side, there is two buttons. Top one says CAPS the other says KANA
3) Kana on your bar must be selected. Click it to unselect. Now you can write romaji to create characters with your input mode.

Also, for later when you want to start getting away from romaji, you can get a keyboard that has both your roman letters -and- the japanese characters on them, so you can start typing japanese the way they do (no romaji, one key, one character). One website I found also has little overlay stickers for like $12 that you can put on any US keyboard.

Writing hiragana, katakana, and kanji. Now that we fixed this problem, it will all work from the "input mode" button on your bar. Direct input works exactly like normal english roman input, so you can type like normal. Hiragana, katakana, half-width katakana is all pretty self explanatory.

Kanji - you type the kana for the kanji you want and hit the space bar. The IME will guess at what kanji you want. If it's right, hit enter. If it's wrong, hit the space bar again to get a list of kanji homonyms that you can select from. Pick one, hit enter, and there ya go.

If you don't know the reading for a kanji, but know how to write it, you can use the IME pad to try to draw it with your mouse, and it will lookup the kanji as you go. Stroke order is important, or you might not find what you're looking for. Anyway, you find the one you want, click it, and the IME will place that kanji in your document.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by mandolin on Sun 08.14.2005 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mandolin

RE: Advanced keyboard problem

Postby Christian_ » Mon 08.15.2005 2:04 pm

I will try that thanks that must've taken a while to write, ありがと!.:)
Last edited by Christian_ on Mon 08.15.2005 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems