Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - When should you always use the kanji for a number instead

When should you always use the kanji for a number instead

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

When should you always use the kanji for a number instead

Postby kentaku_sama » Thu 03.19.2009 1:00 am

When should you always use the word ( as in kanji ) instead of a number. Usually in articles or papers in english, the word is used instead of a number but Japanese is different ね。

Example: "一" instead of "1"
kentaku_sama
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri 11.21.2008 2:21 am
Native language: English

Re: When should you always use the kanji for a number instead

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 03.19.2009 6:14 am

You will most often find then used in vertical writing.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

Re: When should you always use the kanji for a number instead

Postby furrykef » Thu 03.19.2009 7:08 am

An exception: when the number is part of a compound word, it's usually in kanji. I think one example is 一番 (when used in the general sense of "best").
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
User avatar
furrykef
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male

Re: When should you always use the kanji for a number instead

Postby keatonatron » Thu 03.19.2009 12:06 pm

furrykef wrote:An exception: when the number is part of a compound word, it's usually in kanji. I think one example is 一番 (when used in the general sense of "best").


That's a good thing to point out. Some other common ones:

一所懸命
一緒
一昨日(uncommon reading)
二日酔い
三角
四角


All of these can only be written with the kanji version.
Well, I guess you CAN write numerals, but it would make you look silly :lol: Kind of like writing "I had a 1derful time last night" :wink:

You'll notice there are a lot of words that use 一, a few words that use ニ and 三, and hardly any that use the other numbers.
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: When should you always use the kanji for a number instead

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 03.19.2009 12:22 pm

Although I think if the number is actually representing a number you're more likely to see it in kanji; 2日酔い is less common than 二日酔い but the former is actually used. (I don't think this is quite the same thing as "1derful" because 2日 is a legitimate way to write ふつか even in formal writing, whereas "1derful" is never anything but extremely casual.)
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: When should you always use the kanji for a number instead

Postby spin13 » Thu 03.19.2009 2:35 pm

keatonatron wrote:You'll notice there are a lot of words that use 一, a few words that use ニ and 三, and hardly any that use the other numbers.

There are a few for 八, 十, 百, 千, and 万, at least more than the rest, though I'm having a hard time thinking of anything other than names for 千. We've got, for example, 八百屋、八方(八方美人)、十分、十字、百姓、千葉、and 万年筆.

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Although I think if the number is actually representing a number you're more likely to see it in kanji; 2日酔い is less common than 二日酔い but the former is actually used.

It is used occasionally, but because conversion software such as IME and that on cellphones do not offer 2日酔い, most people would have to go out of their way to produce it. Also, while you can find a few hits with a Google search, I'd be pretty surprised to see something like 瓜2つ, despite that being a fine reading for ふたつ.

-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed 04.06.2005 9:38 pm
Location: Tokyo
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: When should you always use the kanji for a number instead

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 03.19.2009 5:49 pm

keatonatron wrote:
All of these can only be written with the kanji version.
Well, I guess you CAN write numerals, but it would make you look silly :lol: Kind of like writing "I had a 1derful time last night"


Lots of the people reading this belong to the text message generation. They're all scratching their heads and trying to figure out what would be silly about writing "1derful".
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

Re: When should you always use the kanji for a number instead

Postby wccrawford » Mon 03.23.2009 6:44 am

Mike Cash wrote:
keatonatron wrote:
All of these can only be written with the kanji version.
Well, I guess you CAN write numerals, but it would make you look silly :lol: Kind of like writing "I had a 1derful time last night"


Lots of the people reading this belong to the text message generation. They're all scratching their heads and trying to figure out what would be silly about writing "1derful".


No, I seriously doubt they are unless they are very, very bad at writing English in the first place. It's pathetically obvious why it's 'silly'. Most txt'rs would use it anyone, but would be fully aware of how silly it is. Just like all the other abbreviations.
wccrawford
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon 05.12.2008 8:53 pm


Return to Grammar Questions and Problems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests