Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - questions about what pimsleur taught me

questions about what pimsleur taught me

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

questions about what pimsleur taught me

Postby juda » Mon 06.22.2009 6:36 am

hi
just started learning using this program.but since i can't work with stuff that i don't understand .
so i wish you guys could could make some stuff clear so i could procede with next lessons.

so here are my questions :

jozu ja arimasen
or
jozu dewa arimasen

from what i got they mean the same but one is more polite. but that is not the point. my question is :if jouzu is skilled
and arimasen is not, then what is the meaning of the dewa or ja and are they necessairy in the sentece?

tabetai desu : why do i need the desu here, isn't tabetai by it self enought to say i want to eat
tabetaku arimasen : it's the same as the previous question why do i need arimasen here ? but if tabetaku is don't want to eat, ant arimasen is also not . shouldn't that mean :
not not want to eat as in i want to eat .
so shouldn't it be: tabetaku desu as in i am not wanting to eat

the last question is hanasemasu and hanashimasu are they two different forms of the same verb or two different verbs

well that's it for now i guess. and thanks in advance
juda

Native language: french

Re: questions about what pimsleur taught me

Postby NocturnalOcean » Mon 06.22.2009 6:56 am

This is why I don't like Pimsleur, at least not by itself. Your questions are basic grammar, which you would have learnt within the first few chapters of any textbook

jouzu is an na-adjective, so when you want to conjugate it in negative form, you need to conjugate the copula "da".

The negative form of "da" is dewa nai/dewa arimasen.

Next question, when using desu after i-adjective, it is a politeness marker.

Next.

tabetakuarimasen is another conjugated adjective.

negative of i-adjective is from i to =kunai/kuarimasen.

tabetai = tabetakuarimasen

Last question:

Same verb. Hanashimasu is normal form. To speak.
Hanasemasu is potential form. To be able to speak.

I really suggest you get a textbook.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby wccrawford » Mon 06.22.2009 7:00 am

NocturnalOcean is a little harsh about it, but the advice is correct: It's time for a real book.

Pimsleur is great for a jumpstart on getting used to listening and speaking to Japanese, but it's not a real resource for learning actual Japanese.

In theory, you can learn Japanese without ever opening a book. But if you try, you either ask questions like ones above (that people will be annoyed about, because they are pretty basic) or you don't ask questions, and you learn really, really slowly.

In short: Get a book. You'll be happier for it.
wccrawford

Postby juda » Mon 06.22.2009 7:07 am

so there no point in continuing with pimsleur. because i thought that by repetitions i will start to get the gramatical rules
and that kind of stuff will become obvious . but i guess that wont happen .right ?

and im sorry if my questions were so basic .i know how annoying that must have been
juda

Native language: french

Postby phreadom » Mon 06.22.2009 7:08 am

They pretty much cover it... I was going to say the following, but I saw after I was typing it that others had already started responding. ;)

Well, I don't know grammatical terminology well enough to word this correctly... nor Japanese well enough to answer completely...

but basically it's like the difference between saying "Car red." and "The car is red."

People might understand what you're saying, but it would sound horrible. :P

But basically their point is valid... you'd be doing yourself a huge favor to pick up even a basic textbook, or read over some of http://guidetojapanese.org/ etc.

You need to learn a little about particles and conjugation. Then the pimsleur stuff should make a lot more sense. But you really need to get those basics down if you want to start understanding why things are said the way they are instead of just learning to mimic what you hear.

Good luck! And please don't be afraid to ask questions. :) That's what we're here for. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby NocturnalOcean » Mon 06.22.2009 7:11 am

juda wrote:so there no point in continuing with pimsleur. because i thought that by repetitions i will start to get the gramatical rules
and that kind of stuff will become obvious . but i guess that wont happen .right ?

and im sorry if my questions were so basic .i know how annoying that must have been

I didn't mean to come off rude in anyway, I just wanted to say getting a textbook to cover basic grammar will help you a lot!
A proper foundation in basic grammar is essential in my opinion. Get that, and you will skyrocket with your learning :)
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 06.22.2009 7:57 am

Pimsleur isn't totally useless, you should just supplement it with something else. But the audio practice from pimsleur is useful.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Dustin » Mon 06.22.2009 8:10 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Pimsleur isn't totally useless, you should just supplement it with something else. But the audio practice from pimsleur is useful.

Agreed

You definitely want to get a good textbook, but often what students lack is proper listening practice as well as drilling.
Pimsleur offers this, and you can do it while you wouldn't normally be able to study as well. I personally listen to some audio lessons that are at my skill level or even a bit lower just to help reinforce what I DO know ^^
Dustin

Native language: English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems