Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - who's doing what here?

who's doing what here?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

who's doing what here?

Postby yukamina » Tue 06.30.2009 12:30 am

So, I was reading some ghost stories(stories http://100.amearare.com/story/001.html, audio http://100-story.seesaa.net/article/99550777.html) and I got rather confused with this one here :

従兄の話
去年の夏、従兄が深夜に心霊スポットから帰ってくると、台所に私がいました。私はしょっちゅう従兄の部屋に侵入したりするのでスルーしてシャワーを浴びることにしました。
シャワーをあがり、テレビを付けて私に何を作っているのか聞きました。返事がありません。台所に見に行くと誰もいませんでした。

というお話
本人はびっくりしたわーなどと話してましたけど、一番びっくりしたのは私ですから((((゚д゚;)))))

It's so short, it's hard for me to tell what's going on.
When the cousin returns, the speaker is in the kitchen?
The speaker goes through(スルー?) the cousin's room and has a shower?
After the shower, is it the speaker who asks what is being made, or is it the cousin? For that matter, which one of them turns on the TV? Who's supposed to be in the kitchen?

It sounds to me like the speaker went from to kitchen to the shower. But it sounds like the one who came out of the shower asks about what is being made and expects someone to be in the kitchen. It doesn't really make sense.

I'm at a level where I should understand all this, but it's going right over my head.
yukamina

Re: who's doing what here?

Postby keatonatron » Tue 06.30.2009 2:44 am

When my cousin came home, I was in the kitchen. My cousin was used to me entering his room unannounced, so he ignored me and decided to take a shower. Once he got out of the shower and turned on the TV, he asked me what I was making (in the kitchen). There was no answer. When he went to the kitchen to see, there was no one there.

When he was telling me this story, he said "I was so surprised!" but it was I who was much more surprised!!!!!

スルー means to ignore.
As for the subject of each sentence, the only way to know is by the context. The subject is the cousin throughout the whole story, but I can see how you can get confused with the 私は in the second sentence.

Read my (simplified) translation above, and if you can think up any specific grammatical questions that will help you figure out where you went wrong, please post them here!
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby yukamina » Tue 06.30.2009 12:38 pm

That makes more sense. I didn't know what スルー meant. I expected the speaker to be telling his/her side of the story, not telling the cousin's perspective. So, just where was the speaker, I wonder? What surprised him/her? This story still leaves some loose ends...
yukamina

Postby keatonatron » Tue 06.30.2009 12:43 pm

yukamina wrote:So, just where was the speaker, I wonder? What surprised him/her? This story still leaves some loose ends...

That's what makes it a ghost story; the speaker never was there. And that's why the speaker was so surprised to hear the story, he knows he wasn't there.

If the cousin had simply seen the speaker in the kitchen, and then went back and the speaker was gone, that wouldn't be a very scary story!
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby yukamina » Tue 06.30.2009 1:38 pm

keatonatron wrote:
yukamina wrote:So, just where was the speaker, I wonder? What surprised him/her? This story still leaves some loose ends...

That's what makes it a ghost story; the speaker never was there. And that's why the speaker was so surprised to hear the story, he knows he wasn't there.

If the cousin had simply seen the speaker in the kitchen, and then went back and the speaker was gone, that wouldn't be a very scary story!

GAhh! Stupid first person narration! If the speaker said he was in the kitchen, then I assume the speaker knows his own whereabouts!
But now the word order of 台所に私がいました makes sense.
yukamina

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems