Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ”俺ら東京さ行ぐだ”

”俺ら東京さ行ぐだ”

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

”俺ら東京さ行ぐだ”

Postby keatonatron » Thu 07.02.2009 2:58 am

What does the title of this song mean??

I mean grammatically.

行ぐだ?
keatonatron

Native language: English

Re: ”俺ら東京さ行ぐだ”

Postby kurisuto » Thu 07.02.2009 12:17 pm

It may be 津軽弁 :

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%B4%A5% ... D%E5%BC%81

A (very) brief excerpt :

語中、語尾のカ行、タ行が濁音化してガ行、ダ行になる。  例)イカ→イガ

It seems like other dialects have this same characteristic, but I "chose" Tsugaru-ben because the singer is from Aomori.
kurisuto

Native language: French

Postby keatonatron » Thu 07.02.2009 1:37 pm

I figured it was 方言, but I thought that strange since it's a song about Tokyo :D

Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard that before.
keatonatron

Postby keatonatron » Mon 07.06.2009 7:59 am

By the way, I still don't get how this works grammatically. Is the だ at the end the normal だ, or a た changed to だ? 行くた doesn't make any sense, so I'm guessing changing 行く to 行ぐ is like adding a の on the end and so you can follow it with だ?

行くんだ→行ぐだ

Has anyone actually heard this used before? :?
keatonatron

Postby Hyperworm » Mon 07.06.2009 9:09 am

I've heard だ following a verb before. It's easy to find examples by googling the construction "Vだなんて" (google "るだなんて"), but I'm not quite sure what the difference is. :?
Maybe it acts to turn the previous clause into a quote or something...? んだ→だ also seems a reasonable guess...
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby ryuubu » Sat 07.11.2009 9:33 pm

Chichi from Dragon Ball uses だ as a 語尾
ryuubu

Postby jt » Mon 07.13.2009 9:37 am

keatonatron wrote:I figured it was 方言, but I thought that strange since it's a song about Tokyo

Well, actually:
テレビも無ェ ラジオも無ェ 自動車もそれほど走って無ェ
(...)
俺らこんな村いやだ 東京へ出るだ 東京へ出だなら

...seeing as it's a song about the singer leaving behind his hometown in the Tohoku boonies to go to Tokyo, it makes sense that it would be sung in dialect.

I'm not an expert on 津軽弁, so I'll defer to this person who seems to believe that the singer created a sort of mishmash dialect, non-authentic, that would be understandable to the average listener yet give off a rustic feel.
http://q.hatena.ne.jp/1209797378
風景が変わり、ルールが変わった
jt

Postby keatonatron » Mon 07.13.2009 1:50 pm

I thought it was a song about him leaving Tokyo and wanting to go back. If he was supposed to be born and raised in the small town that he's singing about, how would he know what's missing?? :)

Even though he's not originally from Tokyo, many people who move here tend to gradually speak less dialect and more standard. Maybe that's the whole point: he's moved to tokyo, gotten used to all the big city has to offer even to the point of disliking his hometown, yet he still speaks his native dialect showing that he really hasn't changed at all.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.14.2009 9:29 am

keatonatron wrote:I thought it was a song about him leaving Tokyo and wanting to go back. If he was supposed to be born and raised in the small town that he's singing about, how would he know what's missing?? :)

Even though he's not originally from Tokyo, many people who move here tend to gradually speak less dialect and more standard. Maybe that's the whole point: he's moved to tokyo, gotten used to all the big city has to offer even to the point of disliking his hometown, yet he still speaks his native dialect showing that he really hasn't changed at all.

Perhaps that's exactly what the deeper meaning is.. While he thinks he's changed or become more sophisticated by moving to Tokyo, but in reality, he's still the same person from a small town and his refusal/inability to speak standard, shows that typical saying.. You can take the person out of the town, but you can't take the town out of the person.. A bit of Irony if you ask me.
two_heads_talking

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems