Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - お茶で飲む

お茶で飲む

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

お茶で飲む

Postby astaroth » Thu 07.02.2009 11:08 am

Hi everyone,
I was studying this dialog:
A: 息子に英語を教えていただけませんか。
B: 教えてあげたいんですけど、ちょっと時間が…
A: お茶も飲みながらおしゃべりしていただけませんか。
The part I would like to ask about is in the last sentence (I added the rest for context).
My question is about the particle で used here. It actually took me a while to realize it was written でも instead of the を I was expecting.
Do they use で here because the tea is considered as a setting instead of just the beverage? Like in English the phrase "high tea"?
The も I guess is added for stress, so does it still make sense the sentence お茶で飲む?

Thanks in advance!
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Re: お茶で飲む

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 07.02.2009 11:38 am

でも in this context means "or something like it" i.e. お茶でも = "Tea, or something like it". It's often used just for politeness without any actual meaning.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Thu 07.02.2009 1:45 pm

To add to what Chris said, でも replaces が、は、or を. You will have to rely on context to figure out which article was replaced (which obviously you can do, since you said you were expecting を!).
keatonatron

Postby astaroth » Thu 07.02.2009 2:19 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:でも in this context means "or something like it" i.e. お茶でも = "Tea, or something like it". It's often used just for politeness without any actual meaning.

keatonatron wrote:To add to what Chris said, でも replaces が、は、or を. You will have to rely on context to figure out which article was replaced (which obviously you can do, since you said you were expecting を!).

Thank you both. I completely misunderstood that sentence!
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 07.02.2009 3:26 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:でも in this context means "or something like it" i.e. お茶でも = "Tea, or something like it". It's often used just for politeness without any actual meaning.

In this case could this really be a case of Enryo? Where the speaker is suggesting that they can talk over tea but not putting the emphasis so much on which beverage is to be consumed, allowing the person being spoken to, a "way out" so to speak?

In other words, it seems similar to inviting someone over to your house .... uchi demo... but meaning, we could meet anywhere that is convenient for you? So the speaker is emphasizing the talking and no so much what is being consumed while they are talking..
two_heads_talking

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 07.02.2009 3:44 pm

Sounds like a good explanation to me.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems