Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Inceasing my Vocabulary

Inceasing my Vocabulary

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Inceasing my Vocabulary

Postby Ryouka » Fri 07.10.2009 9:55 pm

I'm nearly 100% sure that this is not the place to post this, however it seems like the best place... er... if that makes sense...

Anywho, would anyone happen to know of any free vocab lists that I might be able to study? Up until last month, I've had Japanese in school, but since it's summer, and I have nothing to do most of the time, I figure it'd be a good time to increase my vocab.
Ryouka

Native language: English

Re: Inceasing my Vocabulary

Postby Sairana » Sat 07.11.2009 2:10 am

try smart.fm.

Allow me to add a standard disclaimer that studying lists of vocab is pretty rough work without some basic understanding of grammar after the first couple hundred words or so. Since you mention previous experience, though, you'll probably be OK. :P
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Ryouka » Sat 07.11.2009 7:58 am

Thanks.

Mm... I'm pretty sure that I understand at least a good 70% of Japanese grammar... maybe more. I know most of what's covered on Guidetojapanese.org... not actually sure how complete that is though.
Ryouka

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sat 07.11.2009 8:34 am

Ryouka wrote:Thanks.

Mm... I'm pretty sure that I understand at least a good 70% of Japanese grammar... maybe more. I know most of what's covered on Guidetojapanese.org... not actually sure how complete that is though.

If I knew 70% I would be happy.
People often say there is little, or easy grammar in Japanese. But that is very wrong in my opinion.
The basic grammar is fairly easy ones you get the grasp on that, but from there on, there is so much grammar that just aren't as easy. Grammar used in only writing, grammar used in only speaking. Grammar that is so similar you can hardly see the difference.

And what's covered on Guidetojapanese.org is just the tip of the mountain.

But on the bright side, you don't need to know all Japanese grammar to be able to handle Japanese at a high level.
But that is true for any given language I guess.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Ryouka » Sat 07.11.2009 5:01 pm

And what's covered on Guidetojapanese.org is just the tip of the mountain.

Really? I've read a couple manga chapters and I have yet to come across something I don't know.... maybe I'm just lucky? I suppose I'll really get to find out more when I get to college, though I'm taking the highest level Japanese classes that my school offers this coming year... not sure how much they'll cover.
Ryouka

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 07.11.2009 9:01 pm

Ryouka wrote:Thanks.

I think that Guide to Japanese.org covers most of the basics of Japanese grammar, but still only covers maybe 10-20% of all Japanese grammar.

What manga are you reading?
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Ryouka » Sat 07.11.2009 9:20 pm

I used to read Naruto before it started to bore me... about a month ago... I've also ready the first chapter of Vampire Juu Ji Kai... Mm... I've palmed through other manga, but not actually read them. What I have read has involved heavy use of my Kanji dictionary as well as my Japanese-English dictionary
Ryouka

Postby furrykef » Sun 07.12.2009 2:32 am

There's also a difference between what you need to know to read/listen to Japanese, and what you need to write/speak it correctly. It's always much harder to produce in a language than to understand it.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby coco » Sun 07.12.2009 4:28 am

NocturnalOcean wrote:If I knew 70% I would be happy.

NocturalOceanさんなら、古典はともかく現代文なら70%はすでに習得しているようにお見受けしますが…。

But on the bright side, you don't need to know all Japanese grammar to be able to handle Japanese at a high level.

おっしゃるとおりだと思います。
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Ryouka » Sun 07.12.2009 9:27 am

furrykef wrote:There's also a difference between what you need to know to read/listen to Japanese, and what you need to write/speak it correctly. It's always much harder to produce in a language than to understand it.

Being part Japanese (1/4) I've been around Japanese culture and Language for a good part of my life, pronunciation was the only thing that came easily when I first started studying Japanese 3 years ago, though I'm sure I do no better than any other natively English speaking person.

Though with Mandarin... gotta be so careful while speaking... I'd take writing in Chinese over speaking any dialect, any day.

And eh.. the 70% thing... it was very dumb of me to make the assumption that there'd be that little.
Ryouka

Postby Langanut » Mon 07.13.2009 12:06 pm

Hi Ryouka,

If you're looking for strictly a vocabulary list, try this website out: http://www.thejapanesetutor.com/languag ... fault.aspx. It has audio, flashcards, and quizzes. You will need to install Microsoft Silverlight. It is Microsoft's version of Adobe Flash.

If you're in the mood for buying, there are several phrasebook out there that you could skim through.

If you really want to try to learn these words, I'd suggest making a fun trip out of it. For example, go to the zoo, print out the list of animals from the website. Go visit each animal and try and remember the names of the different types of animals.

This sounds really dorky, but I did this when I was trying to learn. Everywhere I went in the states, whether it is in class or to a restaurant with my buddies, I'd carry around that phrasebook I bought and use it like i'm some kind of tourist. Might raise an eyebrow or two but it can get interesting.

Have fun!

-Tony
Langanut

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems