Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ているつもり

ているつもり

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

ているつもり

Postby kurisuto » Mon 07.27.2009 7:07 pm

I was watching an episode of Inuyasha (btw, not sure everyone is interested, but apparently the new episodes will come out in fall) and someone said "お前の気持ちはよく分かっているつもりだ”. Could someone explain to me this use of つもり ? (I don't think context is really important on this one, but just in case, it is said by a young lord in response to a woman who basically told him "I thank you for your kindness, but I cannot become your wife")
kurisuto

Native language: French

Re: ているつもり

Postby NocturnalOcean » Mon 07.27.2009 7:16 pm

Tsumori doesn't have to be intention(as you are probably familiar with), but it can also be a conviction.

Such as 私はまだつもりだ. (I am convinced I am still young).

So if you apply that to your sentence, you can perhaps grasp it a bit better.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 07.27.2009 7:18 pm

kurisuto wrote:I was watching an episode of Inuyasha (btw, not sure everyone is interested, but apparently the new episodes will come out in fall) and someone said "お前の気持ちはよく分かっているつもりだ”. Could someone explain to me this use of つもり ? (I don't think context is really important on this one, but just in case, it is said by a young lord in response to a woman who basically told him "I thank you for your kindness, but I cannot become your wife")

When つもり occurs after a predicate that the speaker does not have control over, it means that has that belief or mindset. So for instance, できるつもりで行った means something like "I went in the belief that I could do it". 学生のつもりでいる is sort of like "I'm pretty sure I'm a student..." In my experience, it's typically used in cases where the belief is being challenged or denied in some way -- that is, できるつもりで行った sounds like it's being said by someone who actually found out that they couldn't do it once they went there.

お前の気持ちはよく分かっているつもりだ is a little hard without the next line, but it sounds to me like he's saying that he understands her feeling, but he's still going to try to marry her anyway or something like that.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby kurisuto » Mon 07.27.2009 7:23 pm

Wow, you guys are quick ! Thank you for your explanations :)
kurisuto

Native language: French

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.28.2009 10:11 am

NocturnalOcean wrote:Tsumori doesn't have to be intention(as you are probably familiar with), but it can also be a conviction.

I think, and perhaps I'm wrong, but you left the 'young' 'wakai' part out of the sentence.. :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby NocturnalOcean » Tue 07.28.2009 11:12 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
NocturnalOcean wrote:Tsumori doesn't have to be intention(as you are probably familiar with), but it can also be a conviction.

I think, and perhaps I'm wrong, but you left the 'young' 'wakai' part out of the sentence.. :mrgreen:

Haha, yeah you are right! Should be 私はまだ若いつもりだ
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems