Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - "have not done yet"

"have not done yet"

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

"have not done yet"

Postby Strawberry_Juice » Wed 08.05.2009 2:21 pm

Whoah, long time, no post. Anyway, I've been mulling some structures around trying to review for a placement exam soon, and I'm ironically stuck on coming up with the sentence "I still have not studied for the exam." (though I swear I'm doing that now!)

Specifically the "have not done yet" part that I want to convey, and I've been tossing several things around.

私は試験のためにまだ勉強しなかった。 -- Kinda feels to me like "I still did not study for the exam."
私は試験のためにまだ勉強していない/していなかった。 -- Still awkward to me...

I don't have much practice using 〜ておく, but perhaps it works here, as far as having the connotation of doing something as preparation. Still, while I have seen its negative form used a few times, I'm still a little unsure as to its appropriateness here:

私は試験のためにまだ勉強しておかなかった。

If using 〜ておく like this is correct, then is what sounds the best to me. Still, I'm not sure. Maybe I'm making things too complicated and there's something else that works much better. Thank you for any advice! :)
Strawberry_Juice

Re: "have not done yet"

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 08.05.2009 3:40 pm

The difference between the two is that of "hadn't" and "haven't". You, of course, want the latter.

You can shorten the term to 試験勉強, by the way.

Very pleasant to hear you chirp; please drop by more often.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby coco » Wed 08.05.2009 9:18 pm

お帰りなさい! :)
Your pictures on the pic thread were very pretty.
Mike-san seems to have remembered those. :lol:

Strawberry_Juice wrote:Still, while I have seen its negative form used a few times, I'm still a little unsure as to its appropriateness here:

私は試験のためにまだ勉強しておかなかった。

I have hardly seen a negative form of ておく(=ておかなかった/ておきませんでした) that is used for mentioning something the speaker haven't done which s/he was supposed to do.

As for ておく, this thread may help, though there are many 文字化け and a broken link there.

Hope my poor English makes sense.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby flammable hippo » Wed 08.05.2009 9:37 pm

Hope my poor English makes sense.

Don't be so modest, your English is great! :D
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems