View topic - what does ja nai mean?
1. Negative of a noun or na-adjective
sensei da = teacher
sensei ja nai = not a teacher
kirei da = pretty
kirei ja nai = not pretty
2. Rhetorical; "isn't it?" meaning at the end.
sensei ja nai? - Isn't that a/the teacher?
- Posts: 5609
- Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
- Native language: English
You're probably familiar with the polite form: ja arimasen (or "dewa arimasen"). "Nai" is simply the plain form of "arimasen". (Or, to put it another way, the negative form of "aru" is "nai" rather than the expected "arinai".)
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
- Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
- Gender: Male
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests