Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Creating Compound Verbs

Creating Compound Verbs

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Creating Compound Verbs

Postby Cillranchello » Fri 09.11.2009 7:15 pm

Is it acceptable to create compound verbs on the fly to serve one's needs, or do you need to go a round-about way to do so?

For example, lets say I wanted to say "to try to pull," would 試み引くbe acceptable? Or is there some other method necessary? I've learned from Lang-8 that in order to say "can or cannot do verb" the format is Verbこと出来ません.

In the case of "try to pull" would I have to use 試みること引く?Or would Verb stem + verb also be acceptable?
私は眠いユダヤ人です。
Cillranchello

Native language: 英語

Re: Creating Compound Verbs

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 09.11.2009 7:17 pm

Generally you cannot create your own compound verbs, except with a very limited number of verbs that can combine freely.

"Try to pull" is 引いてみる. The ~てみる construction is what you need for that.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby jimbreen » Fri 09.11.2009 8:21 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Generally you cannot create your own compound verbs, except with a very limited number of verbs that can combine freely.

While I generally agree with the advice - stick to the trusted ones like 過ぎる, 始める, 続ける, etc.
the evidence is that Japanese people actually create and use masses of 含合同誌, many/most of which don't appear in dictionaries. The good kokugo dictionaries usually list around 4k compound verbs, but I have found about 40k compound verbs being used in the WWW and other texts. Many of these are only used in a few places and are obviously created on-the-fly, but they are plainly real compound verbs. It seems to be a bit more dynamic that many people think, especially when people are blogging, etc.

I have a paper in preparation on this. Once it's finished, submitted, etc. I can point to it.

Jim
jimbreen

Postby Infidel » Fri 09.11.2009 8:25 pm

Unless you're using the idiom, "What are you trying to pull." Then you probably want to say something completely different.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 09.11.2009 9:16 pm

jimbreen wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:Generally you cannot create your own compound verbs, except with a very limited number of verbs that can combine freely.

While I generally agree with the advice - stick to the trusted ones like 過ぎる, 始める, 続ける, etc.
the evidence is that Japanese people actually create and use masses of 含合同誌, many/most of which don't appear in dictionaries.

Yeah, by "you" up there I meant "learners of Japanese as a second language".
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Cillranchello » Fri 09.11.2009 11:29 pm

jimbreen wrote:

the evidence is that Japanese people actually create and use masses of 含合同誌, many/most of which don't appear in dictionaries. The good kokugo dictionaries usually list around 4k compound verbs, but I have found about 40k compound verbs being used in the WWW and other texts. Many of these are only used in a few places and are obviously created on-the-fly, but they are plainly real compound verbs. It seems to be a bit more dynamic that many people think, especially when people are blogging, etc.

I have a paper in preparation on this. Once it's finished, submitted, etc. I can point to it.

Jim

I'd greatly enjoy reading this when you've completed it. I've got a bit of an interest in linguistics.

But, thanks for the enlightenment. I haven't learned the ~てみる form yet. Now, the みる of ~てみる, is that an ichidan verb or godan verb?
私は眠いユダヤ人です。
Cillranchello

Postby furrykef » Sat 09.12.2009 12:29 am

It's the same as the verb 見る, so it's ichidan. Occasionally you may see it written in kanji, but auxiliary verbs are usually written in kana.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Cillranchello » Sun 09.13.2009 4:24 am

Ahh, makes sense.

皆さんの助けてくれた、どうもありがとうございました。僕は上手になってみます!
私は眠いユダヤ人です。
Cillranchello

Postby XJTA » Thu 09.17.2009 12:51 am

jimbreen wrote:含合同誌

You appear to have made a bit of a conversion error there.
XJTA

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems