Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji in context sentences

Kanji in context sentences

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Re: Kanji in context sentences

Postby Sairana » Mon 10.12.2009 6:42 pm

NileCat wrote:
スイスは中立国の立場を守っている。

I think your translation is fine.

I was wondering if, instead of saying it "protects" neutrality, if it could mean that it always acts with neutrality as its guiding principle?

毎日毎日残業で、土曜・日曜は休日出勤。これじゃあ、体がいくつあっても足りないよ。

体がいくつあっても ---> even if I had some (backup) 体(bodies)...it would not enough...(to cope with it)

You know, I kept thinking "no matter how many bodies I have, it wouldn't be enough. But that sounded macabre (creepy!) so I figured I must be way off and didn't say anything. :P That makes it really clear, though. ^_^

I've recently lost confidence in both English and Japanese. So please don't count on me! :D

Bah... you're better at both than I am, so.... :D
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Re: Kanji in context sentences

Postby Lucas89 » Mon 10.12.2009 7:28 pm

NileCat wrote:
日本語は一通り勉強したつもりだったが、日本に来ると、習った日本語が通じなかったのでショックを受けた。

Meaning-wise, it's like "I thought my Japanese was good enough though...."
= 日本語はざっと全部勉強したと思っていた。日本に来る前は。

Ah, I always forget that つもり can be used for a belief. Now that I think of it that way it' s much clearer to me :)

NileCat wrote:
彼はいつも一言多いので、みんなに嫌われています。

He always says more than he needs.
= 彼はいつも、余計(よけい)な事を言う

I have a feeling that I'm going to be tripped up by a lot of these kind of, compacted, phrases/ways of saying things.

NileCat wrote:
12月の忘年会シーズンになると、どの飲み屋もサラリーマンやOLでいっぱいになる。

It's fine too, I think. I usually choose the word "every" for "どの" in this case. Is it different?

Your choice of the word "every" is much better than my translation. I could understand it's meaning but wasn't sure how to put it into English :oops:

NileCat wrote:
毎日毎日残業で、土曜・日曜は休日出勤。これじゃあ、体がいくつあっても足りないよ。

体がいくつあっても足りない is an idiomatic expression which means;
無理だ or やっていけない or 身がもたない or 病気になってしまう or can't go through with it (?)
体が1つ ---> 病気になったら、仕事ができない
体がいくつあっても ---> even if I had some (backup) 体(bodies)...it would not enough...(to cope with it)

That makes sense.
I had translated it literally as "Even if there were how many bodies" but like Sairana said, it sounded creepy, so I didn't think I could possibly be correct lol.

NileCat wrote:I've recently lost confidence in both English and Japanese. So please don't count on me! :D

I think I can count on you for sure! :wink: Your explanations have helped me throughout this entire thread so far! :D
Thank you very much NileCat!
説明してくれてありがとうございました!
Lucas89

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems