Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - PLEASE HELP!

PLEASE HELP!

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

PLEASE HELP!

Postby RWP » Sat 09.17.2005 5:40 am

Having learned the Kana I am now faced with the daunting task of learning the 1945 standard 'everyday use' Kanji! My dilemma concerns the initiation of this task! I have downloaded KanjiGold and have flashcards for the first 1000 characters at home. I really do not know how to tackle this task, I don't understand when to use the on-yumi and kun-yumi and which one should be used when reading a word with Kanji in it. Can anyone explain to me when to use the on-yumi and when to use the kun-yumi? And also how to determine which pronounciation is used when looking at a word? Also what is up with the (つ) after some kun-yumi readings? SOOOOOOO CONFUSED :( :( :( :(

Thanks for any help, guys!! :D
Last edited by RWP on Sat 09.17.2005 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RWP
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue 09.13.2005 4:16 pm

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Postby redfoxer » Sat 09.17.2005 8:44 am

日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
User avatar
redfoxer
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed 03.02.2005 6:09 pm

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Postby Kates » Sat 09.17.2005 9:37 am

Study VOCAB along with kanji and THEN you will understand when on- and kun-yomi are used. And besides, what's the point of learning kanji if you don't learn how to USE them. Just knowing meanings and stroke order isn't enough.
User avatar
Kates
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri 08.12.2005 3:54 pm

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Postby redfoxer » Sat 09.17.2005 11:07 am

what is the person in your avatar angry at kates :)
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
User avatar
redfoxer
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed 03.02.2005 6:09 pm

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Postby AaRoN » Sat 09.17.2005 11:19 am

RWP wrote:
Having learned the Kana I am now faced with the daunting task of learning the 1945 standard 'everyday use' Kanji! My dilemma concerns the initiation of this task! I have downloaded KanjiGold and have flashcards for the first 1000 characters at home. I really do not know how to tackle this task, I don't understand when to use the on-yumi and kun-yumi and which one should be used when reading a word with Kanji in it. Can anyone explain to me when to use the on-yumi and when to use the kun-yumi? And also how to determine which pronounciation is used when looking at a word? Also what is up with the (つ) after some kun-yumi readings? SOOOOOOO CONFUSED :( :( :( :(

Thanks for any help, guys!! :D

RWP-san..dont forget to learn grammar i find dat it helps alotB)
I don't understand.......Why can't i fly????
User avatar
AaRoN
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat 08.06.2005 2:37 pm

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Postby Christian_ » Sat 09.17.2005 11:35 am

Grammer is very important, If your starting kanji like me may i suggest "Read Japanese Today" Its A cheap book The Japan Shop sells it for under 10 bucks ( like 9.95) I havent been real dilligent this past week about reading it but I already know around 10 kanji its a great book. ( I know 10 isnt alot but I havent been reading it much)
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue 06.21.2005 10:35 pm

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Postby skrhgh3b » Sat 09.17.2005 2:12 pm

i'm in an intermediate class at university, and our textbook (nakama) introudces about 30 new kanji characters a chapter that are in some way related to the chapter's theme. so, i'm learning about 4 kanji characters a day, and i find it's an extremely practical way to learn new kanji, even if it's not the most logical (learning 語 and 話 before 言, for example). so, i think whoever mentioned learning new kanji along with learning new vocabulary had a really good point. but the most important thing is to create a pace - not moving too fast or too slow - and always keep moving forwards, because if you're not moving forwards, then you're moving backwards. but this can be really difficult if you you don't have the rigid structure of a class.

besides that, i also learn new kanji whenever i keep seeing one unkown character again and again until my curiosity overtakes my laziness and i finally look it up in the dictionary :D
skrhgh3b
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun 07.24.2005 3:57 am

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Postby RWP » Sun 09.18.2005 4:31 pm

minna-san, arigatou gozaimasu
RWP
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue 09.13.2005 4:16 pm

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Postby sparky » Sun 09.18.2005 5:19 pm

While we're on the subject of kanji and their "on" and "kun" readings, I'd just like to know if it's necessary to know exactly which readings are "kun" and which are "on". Or can we just be content that 人 can be read as [hito], [nin] and [jin], no matter which is what?
sparky
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat 09.17.2005 5:18 pm

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 09.18.2005 7:22 pm

Well, it's helpful to know which is which. For example, if you thought that ひと was the on-yomi and you said 人間 is ひとあいだ, you'd be very wrong. ;) on-yomi is generally used for compounds, while kun is used for single words. Note that I say generally, as there are exceptions.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
User avatar
Harisenbon
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue 06.14.2005 3:24 am
Location: Gifu, Japan
Native language: (poor) English

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Postby skrhgh3b » Sun 09.18.2005 8:19 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
Well, it's helpful to know which is which. For example, if you thought that ひと was the on-yomi and you said 人間 is ひとあいだ, you'd be very wrong. ;) on-yomi is generally used for compounds, while kun is used for single words. Note that I say generally, as there are exceptions.



normally, i don't bother learning a reading until i learn a word that it's used in, otherwise i'll never remember the damn thing. so i occasionally learn new readings for familiar kanji when they creep up in new words.
skrhgh3b
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun 07.24.2005 3:57 am

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Postby Kates » Mon 09.19.2005 9:28 am

When you learn a new kanji, *I* think it is best practice to learn a new word that uses EACH of the yomi that kanji has. Most textbooks teach kanji in 'groups' too, (verb roots, adjectives, adverbs, nouns, etc) so it's easy to pair them up and learn one new word for two kanji. For example:

You study: 読 and 書. They are uses VERY commonly as 'yomu' and 'kaku,' (読む / 書く -- kun-yomi) but together they make "reading" (As in, "I like reading")--DOKUSHO. (読書) Now you can remember 読's on-yomi is DOKU and 書's on-yomi is SHO.
/me kills two birds with one stone XD
User avatar
Kates
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri 08.12.2005 3:54 pm

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Postby redfoxer » Wed 09.21.2005 6:59 pm

skrhgh3b wrote:
Harisenbon wrote:
Well, it's helpful to know which is which. For example, if you thought that ひと was the on-yomi and you said 人間 is ひとあいだ, you'd be very wrong. ;) on-yomi is generally used for compounds, while kun is used for single words. Note that I say generally, as there are exceptions.



normally, i don't bother learning a reading until i learn a word that it's used in, otherwise i'll never remember the damn thing. so i occasionally learn new readings for familiar kanji when they creep up in new words.


that is the exact same way i learn readings. i duno why, i find its much easier to remember readings when you see it actually compounded together or conjuguated or wat not. but thats me.
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
User avatar
redfoxer
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed 03.02.2005 6:09 pm

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Postby sparky » Wed 09.21.2005 7:55 pm

Thanks for the answer, you guys! ^__^

I'm a little relieved. I know a decent amount of kanji, but not exactly ALL the readings and which reading is what. :p

Arigatou!
sparky
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat 09.17.2005 5:18 pm


Return to Grammar Questions and Problems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron