Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Ordering Food

Ordering Food

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Ordering Food

Postby DarumaBlue » Thu 11.12.2009 3:47 pm

I remember somewhere from one of my old 1st or 2nd year textbooks there was an explanation of a grammar used for ordering food. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the grammar was. I THINK it was ようになる as in そばようなる.

The reason I remember this is the book/text explained that, if it seemed strange to "move towards" what one wanted to order, one could think of English where we say "I'll go with the cheeseburger." Indeed, we don't go anywhere with the food.

I've scoured my old resources, but I can't locate this little grammar blurb. Can anyone remind me what kinds of casual grammar are used when ordering food in Japanese?
DarumaBlue

Native language: English

Re: Ordering Food

Postby NocturnalOcean » Thu 11.12.2009 4:09 pm

Not sure what those phrases in your post were, but maybe you were thinking of にする which means to decide on/choose.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby DarumaBlue » Thu 11.12.2009 4:59 pm

NocturnalOcean wrote:Not sure what those phrases in your post were, but maybe you were thinking of にする which means to decide on/choose.

Yup! That sounds about right - thank you.

Are there any other common and/or casual phrases for ordering food I might want to know about?
DarumaBlue

Postby Astral Abraxas » Thu 11.12.2009 9:18 pm

"I'll go with the cheeseburger."

Haha, that's exactly what に is like. I'm glad to know there is a textbook out there that teaches it properly.

にする doesn't mean "to decide/to choose on" in its true essence. It's really telling the direction in which you do something and in many contexts that gives the translation "to decide" but there are others where that isn't the case and that's why the verb 決める exists.

From my other post(逆ポーランド記法):

C++でいい計算機の作り方を教えることにしました。(literal translation)→(I) done in the direction of the thing which is to teach how to make a good calculator in C++

Which basically means:

(I) decided to teach how to make a good calculator in C++.
Astral Abraxas

Postby DarumaBlue » Fri 11.13.2009 2:32 pm

Yeah, I actually get a bit confused there.

Luckily, my third year teacher taught ことにする and ことになる as a pair of grammar, and sort of clarified the hands-on and hands-off nature of each part, respectively. Had those been taught separately I would have had a much more difficult time figuring it out.
DarumaBlue

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems