Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ~通じない

~通じない

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

~通じない

Postby katafei » Sun 11.15.2009 5:45 am

O boy, I think my Japanese is getting worse by the minute….
Another sentence from last year’s test I can’t get a grip on.
I guess it starts with that I don’t quite get the meaning of the main sentence…

学校を休んでいる友達に何度も電話をしたが通じない。 何があったのか。。。

Calling your friends (that are free from school) non-stop ….(will not get you well informed???)
Or:
You should not call them non-stop…?
I really have no idea.

These are the possibilities you have to choose from, with my faint understanding scribbled next to them:

1. 心配でもない     (if anything has happened, don’t worry about it)
2. 心配してはいけない (…, it is wrong to worry about it)
3. 心配でならない (…,worrying cannot be avoided)
4. 心配しかねない (…,worrying will surely happen [not grammatical])

Spoiler:
Btw. the right answer is 3.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Re: ~通じない

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 11.15.2009 6:01 am

Think mechanically/electrically.

The call isn't "going through" (the telephone circuits)....通じない. In other words, there is no answer.

The other uses/meanings of 通じる which you are probably familiar with can best be thought of as sort of idiomatic meanings derived from the "go through" or "pass through" meaning.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby katafei » Sun 11.15.2009 6:04 am

ooo, duh, of course!!!
THANKS ^^
katafei

Postby magamo » Sun 11.15.2009 6:38 am

学校を休んでいる友達に何度も電話をしたが通じない。 何があったのか。。。 means "I've been calling my friend who has been absent from school, but I can't get through to him. I wonder what happened to him..."

何があったのか… can be a stand-alone sentence as I just translated it, but if the question is "Which fits better in 。。。part?," then translations for the four choices would be something like:

1. 何があったのか心配でもない     (It doesn't worry me very much. Really.)
2. 何があったのか心配してはいけない (I shouldn't worry about that.)
3. 何があったのか心配でならない (It really worries me.)
4. 何があったのか心配しかねない (It could worry them.)

It's nonsense to give "correct" translations to the wrong answers because they wouldn't sound natural in the context in the first place, but they'd mean something like that if said by the same person. Obviously 3 is the most natural answer.

If the question is "Which describes the speaker's feeling?," the answer is the same, though translations for them can be slightly different.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
magamo

Native language: Newspeak

Postby katafei » Sun 11.15.2009 7:42 am

Thanks for that explanation.
I agree it makes very little sense to translate grammatical incorrect sentences, but it does help to get some insight into the exercises. Very much needed with answers that look so similar…..they usually create short circuits in my brain… :shock: .

Here’s another one that confuses me…
車を買ったので、ドライブ___ふるさとの両親の家に行った。
とともに
Spoiler:
together with

によらず
Spoiler:
.........?

をかねて
Spoiler:
to be unable to??

だらけで
Spoiler:
covered with

The right answer,
Spoiler:
, makes no sense to me…surely it means
Spoiler:
‘cannot drive to my parents house’, which is …o, hang on, or does it mean 'I cannot but drive to my parents house’, as in, ‘now I have to drive….whether I like it or not??’
katafei

Postby pm215 » Sun 11.15.2009 8:45 am

Don't confuse the meaning of かねる/かねない as an auxiliary verb (ie attaching to another verb's ます-stem) with its meaning as a standalone verb (which is what you have here). The EXCEED dictionary has some examples which might help.
pm215

Native language: (British) English

Postby magamo » Mon 11.16.2009 6:35 am

katafei wrote:Thanks for that explanation.
I agree it makes very little sense to translate grammatical incorrect sentences, but it does help to get some insight into the exercises. Very much needed with answers that look so similar…..they usually create short circuits in my brain… :shock: .

Here’s another one that confuses me…
車を買ったので、ドライブ___ふるさとの両親の家に行った。
とともに
Spoiler:
together with

によらず
Spoiler:
.........?

をかねて
Spoiler:
to be unable to??

だらけで
Spoiler:
covered with

The right answer,
Spoiler:
, makes no sense to me…surely it means
Spoiler:
‘cannot drive to my parents house’, which is …o, hang on, or does it mean 'I cannot but drive to my parents house’, as in, ‘now I have to drive….whether I like it or not??’

Aren't you confusing かねる as in 了承しかねる (かねる = can not) and かねる as in 運動をかねる (かねる = also serve as)? The latter is written 兼ねる in kanji, and this is the one in the choices.

車を買ったので、ドライブをかねてふるさとの両親の家に行った。means "I went for a spin in my new car to my birthplace and dropped by my parents." ドライブ is a noun that means "a short journey in a car just to enjoy yourself," which is very popular in Japan to the extent that it's one of the most popular "hobbies" for some reason. The point is that 両親の家に行く isn't the only purpose. The speaker did it also as a ドライブ. And this "dual purpose" is the meaning of かねる (兼ねる).

よらず roughly means "regardless of." For example, 性別によらず能力のある人材を採用する means "employ talented people regardless of sex."

By the way, it seems that JLPT, especially higher kyuus, mainly tests your knowledge of collocation and connotation. This is especially so in JLPT 1 kyuu. You might find JLPT more difficult than it actually is if you're trying to find the correct answers from simple translation. I don't know if learning collocation and connotation is the shortest path to pass JLPT though.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
magamo

Native language: Newspeak

Postby katafei » Mon 11.16.2009 2:04 pm

Thanks ppl. And especially magamo-さん for this extra bit of interesting every-day information! That's definitely the kind of thing I'm yearning to learn about Japanese :!:

Well, passing JLPT is more a means of learning Japanese, than the other way round. Although it does bother me that it isn't really geared at conversational Japanese at all.....it's still fun to have something as a goal. ^^
katafei

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems