Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - つうわけで、つうか。。など

つうわけで、つうか。。など

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

つうわけで、つうか。。など

Postby meganliu » Mon 05.03.2010 4:00 am

I’ve noticed that つうわけで, つうかさあ, つうか, ていうか, etc are so often used at the beginning of sentences while watching anime. I’m guessing all of them are used to change a topic and perhaps have the same meaning to でも or だけどorけど. I can’t find the former 3 words in my dictionary, so I’m here looking for help. I also noticed that these expressions are mostly used by males speakers, are they 男言葉?
Another usage which I’m not sure whether it’s 男言葉 or 女言葉 is ら ,り, る, れ, ろ~~~ん。Exampes are like 何やってんのよ, 気にすんな,etc.
Last, the following sentences are from an anime. I don’t quite understand the meanings. Please help me out here.
食ってえてみよう
一速ついちゃえ
秘密つったろう

I’m not 100% sure these lines are correct. Please tell me if they are wrong sentences.
meganliu

Native language: Chinese

Re: つうわけで、つうか。。など

Postby writebook » Mon 05.03.2010 9:13 am

meganliu wrote:I’ve noticed that つうわけで, つうかさあ, つうか, ていうか, etc are so often used at the beginning of sentences while watching anime. I’m guessing all of them are used to change a topic and perhaps have the same meaning to でも or だけどorけど.

つう is a shortened colloquial form of ていう or という。

つうわけで=というわけで
Some possible translations: "That's how it is, so ..." or "Things being that way, ..." or "So,..."
The わけ here is 訳.

つうか=ていうか=というか
Some possible translations: "Rather than put it that way, ..." or "It's more like this..." or "Rather than think about it that way,..." or "That's not how I would put it"
You use this when you want to talk about a topic the person raised with a different angle. Or, if you thought the other person was focusing on the wrong point and you think he should being focusing on another point. It doesn't always mean you are going to change the topic completely.

Example:
A Famous Star: "I keep having my extra-marital relationships exposed by the media. Isn't there a good way to keep them secret?"
The Star's Friend: "ていうか、have you considered not having those relationships in the first place?"

I hope this example shows what I mean by "pointing out that the other person is focusing on the wrong point."

Also, it doesn't always have to contradict what the other person says. In some cases, you might use ていうか if you agree with the other person but have a better way to express what that person wanted to say.

Example:
Person A: "Tiger Woods is one of the better golf players in the world, don't you think?"
Person B: "ていうか、he's the best."

This is an example of ていうか meaning "It's more like this...." It is not like contradicting with a "But,..."

つうかさあ=というかさあ
It is just つうか with a さあ attached. Do you know what さあ means? I don't know how to explain さあ, I need to think about it. Although it kind of feels like "You know, ... " in English.

meganliu wrote:Another usage which I’m not sure whether it’s 男言葉 or 女言葉 is ら ,り, る, れ, ろ~~~ん。Exampes are like 何やってんのよ, 気にすんな,etc.
Last, the following sentences are from an anime. I don’t quite understand the meanings. Please help me out here.
食ってえてみよう
一速ついちゃえ
秘密つったろう

I’m not 100% sure these lines are correct. Please tell me if they are wrong sentences.

The last one is a colloquial shortened pronunciation of 秘密だといっただろう。("I told you it is a secret.") The だ was omitted. といった became つった. Then the second だ was also omitted I guess.
I don't know what the other sentences are.
Could 一速ついちゃえ actually be 一息ついちゃえ?(ひといきついちゃえ)

meganliu wrote:I also noticed that these expressions are mostly used by males speakers, are they 男言葉?

ていうか is used very often by both males and females in informal conversations.
つうか is used more often by men. I don't think つうか is 男言葉 though. In Japanese culture, females just tend to use shortened forms less often than males, and つうか is a more shortened form of ていうか。
writebook

Native language: 日本語

Re: つうわけで、つうか。。など

Postby meganliu » Tue 05.04.2010 1:24 am

:D わかりました。

writebook wrote:つうかさあ=というかさあ
It is just つうか with a さあ attached. Do you know what さあ means? I don't know how to explain さあ, I need to think about it. Although it kind of feels like "You know, ... " in English.

I guess さあmay mean "who knows..." or is similiar to じゃ or では。

eg. Did he cheat on his wife? さあ。(who knows)

さあ、行くわよ。( じゃ/では、行くわよ.)
Let's go, then.
meganliu

Native language: Chinese

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems