Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - にとって vs. として

にとって vs. として

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

にとって vs. として

Postby HungryScholar » Mon 05.03.2010 3:04 pm

What is the difference between にとって and として?

I looked up にとって and see it has a meaning like, "from the viewpoint of" and として indicates "as a function of" but it seems there could be some overlap in describing one's professional perspective. For example, I can see "from the perspective of a doctor (me)" or "through the perspective of a doctor", in which case both にとって and として seem to apply. Which is correct?
HungryScholar

Re: にとって vs. として

Postby shin1ro » Mon 05.10.2010 11:09 am

Hi,
For example, I can see "from the perspective of a doctor (me)" or "through the perspective of a doctor", in which case both にとって and として seem to apply. Which is correct?

In this case, として sounds natural and にとって doesn't to me.

"From the perspective of a doctor, I would say you should be more careful about your health."
わたしは医者として、あなたは健康にもっと気をつけるべきだと言いたい。
医者としては、(わたしは)あなたに、健康にもっと気をつけるべきだと言いたい。
Here, 医者としては is equivalent to 医者の見地からは or 医者の立場から見れば.
I think として is often translated as "as". That is:
As a doctor, I would say you should be more careful about your health.

にとって sounds like talking about the situation about the speaker himself (the doctor, me), maybe implicitly in the context of comparing with a case of someone else.
So this doesn't make sense:
(医者である/医者の)わたしにとって/医者にとって、あなたは健康にもっと気をつけるべきだと言いたい。

But these make sense:
1) For me/For me as a doctor, patients are my customers.
(医者である/医者の)私にとって(は)、患者がお客様である。

2) For doctors, their patients are their customers. (not for someone else other than doctors. and this "doctors" at the beginning doesn't mean only "me" but general doctors)
医者にとって(は)、患者がお客様である。
Here, 医者にとっては is probably close to もしわたし/あなたが医者の立場に立てば (if I/you were a doctor).

I have looked up my "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar (The Japan Times)" and it says:
にとって : from the stand point of; so far as someone/something is concerned. / to; for.
(and sometimes it can be replaced with には)

Also I have looked up my "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (The Japan Times)" and it says :
として : a compound particle with indicates the capacity, role or function of someone/something. / as; in the capacity of.

I hope this helps ;-)

-shin1ro
英語がおかしければご指摘ください(日本語も...)。サンキュ〜 ;-)
shin1ro

Native language: Japanese

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems