Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question about "kyo"

Question about "kyo"

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Question about "kyo"

Postby acboyz2 » Sun 10.03.2010 10:31 pm

hey guys this is my first time posting a topic. I just joined yesterday. i have just finished learning hiragana and katakana using this website(which was awesome) and i decided to get an app called iStart Japanese for my iPhone. During one of the lessons I learned the word "kyo" which means today. The weird part was how they wrote it in Hiragana, they wrote it as : "きょう" This sounds like it would be " kyo-u" I know that you can comine ki and yo to make "kyo" which is just "きょ" Now I was just wondering why "today" is not spelled "きょ" if it is pronounced and spelled in romaji the say way, thanks for any help!
acboyz2

Native language: English

Re: Question about "kyo"

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 10.03.2010 10:46 pm

きょう is indeed the correct way to write the word. The う indicates a long vowel which is held for slightly longer than きょ alone. The difference between long and short vowels is one of the most difficult aspect of Japanese pronunciation for English speakers, but it is very important to master.

With regards to romanization, there are several ways to romanize the long o sound: kyo, kyou, kyoo, or kyo with a line over the o (which I forget how to produce). Which is used depends on the person, but I prefer kyou myself. :D
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby furrykef » Sun 10.03.2010 11:08 pm

It's kyō. A long "o" in Japanese is almost always spelled "ou" in hiragana (though there are a few words that take "oo", such as "ookii" (big), "ooi" (many), "koori" (ice), "toori" (road), and "tooku" (distant)... actually those are the only "oo" words I really know of). Likewise, anytime you see "ou" in hiragana, you know it's ō, except when the "u" is a verb ending (like in the verb "omou") or if the "o" and "u" belong to different parts of a compound word (I don't think that's too common).
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby acboyz2 » Mon 10.04.2010 7:17 pm

Thank you so much guys! Great explanation, I got it now!
acboyz2

Native language: English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems