Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ~といったところです

~といったところです

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

~といったところです

Postby Michael_SD » Mon 11.08.2010 7:48 am

スーザン  :実は、あのう、日本語のクラスのことなんですけど、今のクラスは私にちょっとレベルが高すぎると思うんです。もう一つ下のクラスに移った方がいいと思うんですが。
佐藤    :うん、でも、ラーセンさんは、漢字はもう一歩といったところですが、プレイスメントの成績も悪くなかったし、文法もちゃんとしているから、少し難しいクラスにチャレンジしてみる方がいいと思いますけどね。

I understand what Susan (Larsen) says, which is, 'As a matter of fact, it's about my Japanese class. I think the level of my current class is a bit too high for me. I think I ought to move to a class that's a little lower.'

It's what professor Sato says in response which I really don't understand. I understand all his vocabulary words, but the complex sentence is, well, too complex for me.

The confusion begins with ~といったところです. I don't know what verb いった is, but since it follows と, maybe it's 言った?  And I have no idea as to what ところ is doing there, nor how/why it's used.

Furthermore, it's due to my lack of experience, but the next two clauses, プレイスメントの成績も悪くなかったし and 文法もちゃんとしているから seem to contradict one another. I can't reconcile one with the other.

Finally, I think that in the final clause, 少し難しいクラスにチャレンジしてみる方がいいと思いますけどね, Sato says 'I think that you (Susan) should see a somewhat difficult class as a challenge.'
*If* I have that right, why is ~にチャレンジしてみる方がいい not written as ~にチャレンジしてみたら方がいい?
Michael_SD

Native language: English

Re: ~といったところです

Postby NileCat » Mon 11.08.2010 8:48 am

~といったところです
This phrase means “something is currently in the condition/stage/situation/position like that so to speak”
~といった ・・・と言える/と言えるだろう
ところ・・・抽象的な事柄についての位置、場面、段階など

もう一歩
This is usually used to describe that something is a step behind. It’s close but not reached yet.
The thing is, this phrase can express either positive or negative opinion.

もう一歩といったところです
This idiomatic expression usually conveys a negative feeling. Not enough.
Well, he is telling her that her weak point is kanji.

チャレンジしてみる方がいい = チャレンジしてみたらいい (without 方が)
But in this case, he is saying one is better than the other. So using 方が would be more appropriate.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby furrykef » Mon 11.08.2010 5:46 pm

Michael_SD wrote:I don't know what verb いった is, but since it follows と, maybe it's 言った?

Yeah, but do note that 言う generally doesn't take kanji when it doesn't refer to somebody actually speaking. So I might speak of a 「マリオ」というゲーム ("a game called 'Mario'"), but I wouldn't write it 「マリオ」と言うゲーム because what's being quoted is just a name rather than speech.

Nonetheless, you will probably see this rule of thumb broken from time to time, partly 'cause there are people who stick kanji wherever they can go, and partly because rules of kanji usage tend not to be observed very strictly outside of professional publications.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby ss » Tue 11.09.2010 6:08 am

Michael_SD wrote:
Furthermore, it's due to my lack of experience, but the next two clauses, プレイスメントの成績も悪くなかったし and 文法もちゃんとしているから seem to contradict one another. I can't reconcile one with the other.

I don't see any contradiction here.   :think:

①プレイスメントの成績も悪くなかったし,
②文法もちゃんとしているから

Notice the 「し」 and 「から」 both here imply "reasoning"
Those are the reasons why Satou san thinks Susan should try something a bit harder:
①Her placement result was (also) not that bad, and
②her grammar was also progressing well (doing fine)

Santou san thinks that it's only her kanji at current stage needs so much to be desired (not really that bad or far behind), so Santou san encourages Susan to try something more challenging.  
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Michael_SD » Wed 11.10.2010 11:38 am

NileCat wrote:~といったところです
This phrase means “something is currently in the condition/stage/situation/position like that so to speak”
~といった ・・・と言える/と言えるだろう
ところ・・・抽象的な事柄についての位置、場面、段階など

もう一歩
This is usually used to describe that something is a step behind. It’s close but not reached yet.
The thing is, this phrase can express either positive or negative opinion.

もう一歩といったところです
This idiomatic expression usually conveys a negative feeling. Not enough.
Well, he is telling her that her weak point is kanji.

チャレンジしてみる方がいい = チャレンジしてみたらいい (without 方が)
But in this case, he is saying one is better than the other. So using 方が would be more appropriate.

Aha, now I see. The way you explain the sentence successively from one point to the other is excellent, in my opinion. I really learned a ton here in your response to my question, and I understand the sentence fnow because of your explanation.

Thank you.
Michael_SD

Postby Michael_SD » Wed 11.10.2010 12:05 pm

furrykef wrote:
Michael_SD wrote:I don't know what verb いった is, but since it follows と, maybe it's 言った?

Yeah, but do note that 言う generally doesn't take kanji when it doesn't refer to somebody actually speaking. So I might speak of a 「マリオ」というゲーム ("a game called 'Mario'"), but I wouldn't write it 「マリオ」と言うゲーム because what's being quoted is just a name rather than speech.

Nonetheless, you will probably see this rule of thumb broken from time to time, partly 'cause there are people who stick kanji wherever they can go, and partly because rules of kanji usage tend not to be observed very strictly outside of professional publications.

Okay. Great point. That really does lift tons of confusion I *had* had about 言う/いう/いった, till you pointed this out. That's a huge point, I think, and I will definitely keep it in mind -- really -- as I continue to learn. :!:
Michael_SD

Postby Michael_SD » Wed 11.10.2010 12:17 pm

SS wrote:
Michael_SD wrote:

I don't see any contradiction here.   :think:

①プレイスメントの成績も悪くなかったし,
②文法もちゃんとしているから

Notice the 「し」 and 「から」 both here imply "reasoning"
Those are the reasons why Satou san thinks Susan should try something a bit harder:
①Her placement result was (also) not that bad, and
②her grammar was also progressing well (doing fine)

Santou san thinks that it's only her kanji at current stage needs so much to be desired (not really that bad or far behind), so Santou san encourages Susan to try something more challenging.

I was so lost originally in those clauses, until your explanation, that I was to the point where my mind would no longer work I think. When I get confused, sometimes I get really confused. :shock:
Actually, before you showed me my error, I couldn't tell whether they were positive or negative expressions. Thanks to you, now I do understand.

Thank you for your help.
Michael_SD

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems