Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Verbs

Verbs

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Verbs

Postby Greenmagic » Tue 11.16.2010 7:31 am

Hello everyone

Been studying on the past tense, present tense, as well as the negatives of verbs. Just to check if the below written are correct because they looked wrong to me after applying the rules.

hairu - hainai - haita - hainakatta

kaeru - kaenai - kaeta - kaenakatta

iru - inai - ita - inakatta

dekiru - dekinai - dekita - dekinakatta

hanasu - hanasanai - hanashita - hanasanakatta and hanasimasu ( present positive polite)

iu - inai - ita - inakatta ? ( completely unsure for this )

Seek guidance. Thanks =)
Practice makes permanent, not perfect.
Greenmagic

Native language: Mandarin

Re: Verbs

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 11.16.2010 8:41 am

Greenmagic wrote:Hello everyone

Been studying on the past tense, present tense, as well as the negatives of verbs. Just to check if the below written are correct because they looked wrong to me after applying the rules.

hairu - hainai - haita - hainakatta

kaeru - kaenai - kaeta - kaenakatta

Some verbs that end in -ru are actually "-u verbs" (or whatever your book calls them), so these should be hairanai, haitta, hairanakatta and such.

iru - inai - ita - inakatta

dekiru - dekinai - dekita - dekinakatta

hanasu - hanasanai - hanashita - hanasanakatta and hanasimasu ( present positive polite)

Fine.

iu - inai - ita - inakatta ? ( completely unsure for this )

This conjugates like "kau", so look again at a table or explanation for verbs that end in just -u and try again.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Greenmagic » Tue 11.16.2010 11:47 am

Thanks!

I have a few queries here. hanasu should be conjugated to hanashimasu or hanasimasu? My book says verbs that end in su should end with sh before a suffix beginning with i and end with s before every other suffix. It does not provide any information except to list one more regarding -tsu ending in ch or t depending on the suffix.

Will like to know more regarding this area. Thanks alot :)
Practice makes permanent, not perfect.
Greenmagic

Native language: Mandarin

Postby furrykef » Tue 11.16.2010 12:19 pm

"Si" is not a sound that exists in Japanese. Whenever "si" would appear, it will be shifted to "shi". (Some romanization systems will spell it "si" anyway -- though I've rarely encountered them on the internet -- but it's always pronounced "shi".)

Likewise, "ti" does not exist in native Japanese words (foreign loanwords occasionally have it, like paati "party"), so where "ti" would normally appear, you will get "chi". Likewise with "tsu" in place of "tu".
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems