Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - to soshite keredo

to soshite keredo

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

to soshite keredo

Postby Greenmagic » Wed 11.17.2010 6:57 am

Hello

I just read this page of the blog - http://thejapanesepage.com/grammar/chap ... to_soshite
and is thinking if there will be anyone who can give me more examples of soshite and to usage.
Also, I know of keredo/keredomo which seems to provide the same usage. What re the subtle differences for I can't figure it out.

Thanks
Practice makes permanent, not perfect.
Greenmagic

Native language: Mandarin

Re: to soshite keredo

Postby micahcowan » Wed 11.17.2010 2:13 pm

Greenmagic wrote:I just read this page of the blog - http://thejapanesepage.com/grammar/chap ... to_soshite
and is thinking if there will be anyone who can give me more examples of soshite and to usage.
Also, I know of keredo/keredomo which seems to provide the same usage. What re the subtle differences for I can't figure it out.

The difference to keep in mind for と and そして is that と conjoins words (にくといもとにんじん, "meat and potatoes and carrots"), while そして conjoins sentences. よくじつ、わたしが アメリカへ かえりました。そして、やまもとさんも 日本へ かえりました。"The next day, I returned to America. And, Yamoto also returned to Japan."

Bear in mind that と is a partical that can mean various different things depending on where it's used: it pretty much just means "and" when it connects two nouns, so if you see it in other circumstances, learn those usages separately. For instance, like そして, と is often used to connect clauses (in which case it comes at the end of the first clause), but it has a very different meaning then.

For けれど/けれども: the former is just a shorter way of saying the latter. Other ways of saying the same word include けど and けども.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby awesomemantm2000 » Wed 11.17.2010 8:56 pm

Soshite is used as the Japanese equivelant of "and",but just for connecting sentences,not words.In those situations 'to' is used to connect words.Keredomo is the Japanese equivelant to 'but'.
awesomemantm2000

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Thu 11.18.2010 1:37 pm

awesomemantm2000 wrote:Soshite is used as the Japanese equivelant of "and",but just for connecting sentences,not words.In those situations 'to' is used to connect words.Keredomo is the Japanese equivelant to 'but'.

Soshite is more at "and then" or "so"

And keredomo is *A* Japanese equivalent to "but." There are more. ;)
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems