Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - would you comment

would you comment

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

would you comment

Postby themonk » Thu 11.18.2010 11:57 pm

on these:
1. Everyone's Japanese
2. Japanese Verb
Last edited by themonk on Wed 08.03.2011 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
themonk

Native language: NA

Re: Recommendations ?Or comments on these Verb Books?

Postby chikara » Fri 11.19.2010 12:16 am

I'm not familiar with any of the books you have listed but I have found the online version of Tim Matheson's Japanese Verbs a useful resource.

The hard copy is available from Amazon. Seven of the ten user reviews on Amazon give it a 5 star rating, two a 4 star rating and one a 2 star rating.

The person who gave it 2 stars states they "didn't learn anything from this book" and that Mina No Nihongo Volumes 1&2 are a better choice. From that it would seem that they were expecting a book on verbs to be a more general book on Japanese.

The thing I don't particularly like about the online version is that is completely in romaji but for a "beginner beginner" that probably isn't an issue.
Last edited by chikara on Fri 11.19.2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby themonk » Fri 11.19.2010 12:18 am

Dear Chikara san ~
Thank you for the recommendation . Looking at it now.
Thank you for responding to yet another post from me.
themonk

Postby chikara » Fri 11.19.2010 12:47 am

どういたしまして :)

I was editing that post to add a bit about the Amazon reviews when you responded so you may like to read it again.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby themonk » Fri 11.19.2010 2:47 am

Dear Chikara san ~
I did. Very thorough and logical inferences.
Thank you for alerting me to the ver. 2. That is very thoughtful of you.
themonk

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Mon 12.06.2010 10:52 pm

I absolutely recommend against the "501 Verbs" series. It does not help you understand how verbs are conjugated, and as an Amazon reviewer said: "It's like a 500-page book with addition charts, without actually teaching you how to add." Because Japanese verbs are mostly regular, it is pointless. The series should only be used as a reference book for languages with irregular verbs like Romanian.

I recommend "Japanese Grammar" by Barron's. http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Grammar-Barrons-Carol-Akiyama/dp/0764120611 The only downside is it is in romaji, but the solid coverage of grammar, and conjugation of verbs and adjectives is perfect for a beginner. It's size is great for putting in your pocket.
Cyborg Ninja

Postby furrykef » Tue 12.07.2010 2:44 am

Cyborg Ninja wrote:Because Japanese verbs are mostly regular, it is pointless.

You're assuming that a book on verbs is useful only if they teach you irregular conjugation. I disagree. Verbs are arguably more useful than nouns, and the book seems to contain plenty of example sentences. I can't see enough of the book on Amazon to be sure that it's worth the price tag, though.

Also, I don't find irregular verbs to be a significant enough part of a language to warrant buying a book just to master it. I mastered irregular verbs in Spanish quite easily without buying any books on verbs. So if I were to buy a book on verbs in any language, its coverage of irregularities would at most tip the balance; it wouldn't be my primary motivation in buying the book.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Tue 12.07.2010 10:21 pm

"You're assuming that a book on verbs is useful only if they teach you irregular conjugation."
No, I'm not assuming that.

"Verbs are arguably more useful than nouns, and the book seems to contain plenty of example sentences."
I see 500+ pages of charts, one page per verb, without example sentences. There may be 20+ pages of example sentences at the end, but that hardly makes the book worth it.

"Also, I don't find irregular verbs to be a significant enough part of a language to warrant buying a book just to master it. I mastered irregular verbs in Spanish quite easily without buying any books on verbs. So if I were to buy a book on verbs in any language, its coverage of irregularities would at most tip the balance; it wouldn't be my primary motivation in buying the book."
Okay.
Cyborg Ninja

Postby furrykef » Wed 12.08.2010 5:25 am

Cyborg Ninja wrote:No, I'm not assuming that.

Huh? You said yourself that "[t]he series should only be used as a reference book for languages with irregular verbs like Romanian."

In any case, from your description, I agree that the book wouldn't be worth $20 (the price I saw on Amazon)...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby kgb4life » Mon 12.13.2010 12:16 pm

What chikara posted in the beginning is a very very useful resource. Those are pretty much all of the conjugations that you will ever need to form verbs with. As far as books, I am sure that there are a bunch that show you how to conjugate them, but I don't really find that useful. I think that what matters more is to know if a verb is useful first of all, and second how do you use it in practical situations. To learn this you would have to encounter them in natural text just like any other vocab. I encountered so many verbs in the Japanese language that are misused easily or are not used at all. I got laughed at by the natives a few times, lol.
kgb4life

Postby Musiflare » Sat 12.18.2010 1:50 pm

Just adding one more recommendation against "501 Verbs."

I used its French counterpart in high school largely to double-check the accuracy of conjugations; outside of that, it's useful for little else. The 501 Verbs series is filled with, literally, 501 verb conjugation charts, a subject that is practically a non-issue in Japanese. Furthermore, on top of not having really any example sentences to speak of, the definitions for the words are surprisingly vague. Unlike French, Japanese doesn't really have all that many words with meanings that correspond directly to English words, so having a pitifully thin two, three word definition just isn't going to cut it.
Musiflare

Native language: 英語

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems