Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - would

would

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

would

Postby themonk » Mon 12.27.2010 7:07 pm

Can anyone comment on the 'i would like to do xyz' pattern?
Last edited by themonk on Wed 08.03.2011 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
themonk

Native language: NA

Re: "I would like to do xyz" Sentence Pattern

Postby furrykef » Mon 12.27.2010 9:56 pm

I think you're mishearing "desu ga" as "desu ka". "Desu ka" would mean "Would you like...". The "ga" in "desu ga" doesn't really mean anything, but the literal meaning is "but". The Japanese have a habit of ending sentences with "ga" or "kedo" ("kedo" means virtually the same thing as "ga" in this context) and implying a logical but unspoken continuation. (We do the same thing in English, just less extensively: "I'd love to stay and chat, but...", implying "I gotta go".) In this case, though, I'm not really sure there is an unspoken continuation and the "ga" seems to just add to the politeness and overall "deferentialness".

To answer the question, "X ga [verb]tai" and "X o [verb]tai" is something of a long-standing controversy. There are some who will say that "ga" is the only correct form, but many people use "o" in everyday speech. These speakers probably tend to use "ga" for extra emphasis ("Kore ga kaitai": "I want to buy this (not that thing over there)"), and "o" when they feel that no such emphasis is warranted. Still, the safer option is to always use "ga" until you know you can get away with using "o".

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Re: "I would like to do xyz" Sentence Pattern

Postby themonk » Sun 01.02.2011 7:34 pm

Kef san ~
Thank you very much for the reply. I had no idea that there is this controversy surrounding the use of "ga" versus o.

Moreover, i would like to thank you for the additional benefit in your reply for pointing out my error, which should have been "desu ga."

Happy New Year.
themonk

Native language: NA

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems