Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Desu and Ka

Desu and Ka

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Desu and Ka

Postby fallout2 » Sat 05.21.2011 4:07 am

I have yet to hear someone ask a question using only 'ka' and not 'desu ka'.

Is desu elevating the formality still, or is it necessary to say 'desu ka'.

Thanks for your time. :D
fallout2

Native language: English

Re: Desu and Ka

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 05.21.2011 6:49 am

If you're using it with another verb, you don't need desu. For example : Issho ni ikimasen ka? or Nihongo wa hanasemasu ka?

But if you're using it with a noun you need desu or you will sound VERY rude and abrupt
For example: Gakusei desu ka? (Are you a student?)=Normal Gakusei ka? (Are you a freakin' student, or what?)=Rude (or occasionally geezerish :mrgreen: )
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby crazymonkeywhee » Sat 05.21.2011 7:06 pm

You usually don't put ka at the end of a question if you are taking informally. Rather, you just use a rising tone like you would in English.
crazymonkeywhee

Postby fallout2 » Sun 05.22.2011 4:26 am

becki_kanou wrote:If you're using it with another verb, you don't need desu. For example : Issho ni ikimasen ka? or Nihongo wa hanasemasu ka?

But if you're using it with a noun you need desu or you will sound VERY rude and abrupt
For example: Gakusei desu ka? (Are you a student?)=Normal Gakusei ka? (Are you a freakin' student, or what?)=Rude (or occasionally geezerish :mrgreen: )

Haha I can see how frustrating it'd be to speak to non-native speakers, it's easy to forget a word or two. :lol:

crazymonkeywhee wrote:You usually don't put ka at the end of a question if you are taking informally. Rather, you just use a rising tone like you would in English.

Ah, I see.
fallout2

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems