Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Open-close

Open-close

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Open-close

Postby themonk » Sun 06.19.2011 10:22 am

For the bolded word, hiraita [...] However, everytime, I listened to the CD, I hear 'hirogeta.' Any comments? Thank you, Teachers.
Last edited by themonk on Wed 08.03.2011 7:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
themonk
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon 09.20.2010 8:31 am
Native language: NA

Re: 'hirogeta' or 'hiraita'

Postby blutorange » Sun 06.19.2011 11:49 am

oldwordstudy wrote:For the bolded word, hiraita [...] However, everytime, I listened to the CD, I hear 'hirogeta.' Any comments? Thank you, Teachers.


Google the original text? Anyway, doing so yields an interesting result: You find enough instances of both 開いた and 広げた being used for that song which strongly suggests that there is some "confusion" among Japanese themselves, which word is "correct". Or rather, we should say, both words are commonly used today. Furthermore, googling confirms that both the expressions 開いた手 and 広げた手 are possible.

There's also this youtube video confirming "広げた" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR2qzaiMadc . That's the only video of that song I found, however.
blutorange
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun 01.24.2010 4:23 pm
Native language: German

Re: 'hirogeta' or 'hiraita'

Postby themonk » Sun 06.19.2011 9:49 pm

Teacher Blutorange~
Thank you for your help.

You were really thorough,too, in analyzing both words. Incidentally, you also showed me another path to finding answers - youtube.

Have a great week, Teacher Blutorange.

blutorange wrote:Google the original text? Anyway, doing so yields an interesting result: You find enough instances of both 開いた and 広げた being used for that song which strongly suggests that there is some "confusion" among Japanese themselves, which word is "correct". Or rather, we should say, both words are commonly used today. Furthermore, googling confirms that both the expressions 開いた手 and 広げた手 are possible.

There's also this youtube video confirming "広げた" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR2qzaiMadc . That's the only video of that song I found, however.
themonk
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon 09.20.2010 8:31 am
Native language: NA

Re: 'hirogeta' or 'hiraita'

Postby Ranja » Tue 06.21.2011 9:38 pm

Hirogeta te means the hand that (someone) has opened intentionally. In that lyrics hiraita and hirogeta are virtually interchangeable, though they differ in nuance. Be aware that they are not always interchangeable.
User avatar
Ranja
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed 11.05.2008 5:40 am
Native language: Japanese

Re: 'hirogeta' or 'hiraita'

Postby themonk » Sat 06.25.2011 10:58 am

Ranja wrote:Hirogeta te means the hand that (someone) has opened intentionally. In that lyrics hiraita and hirogeta are virtually interchangeable, though they differ in nuance. Be aware that they are not always interchangeable.


Thank you, Teacher Ranja. I did not know about that.
themonk
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon 09.20.2010 8:31 am
Native language: NA


Return to Grammar Questions and Problems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests