Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Open-close

Open-close

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Open-close

Postby themonk » Sun 06.19.2011 10:22 am

For the bolded word, hiraita [...] However, everytime, I listened to the CD, I hear 'hirogeta.' Any comments? Thank you, Teachers.
Last edited by themonk on Wed 08.03.2011 7:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
themonk

Native language: NA

Re: 'hirogeta' or 'hiraita'

Postby blutorange » Sun 06.19.2011 11:49 am

oldwordstudy wrote:For the bolded word, hiraita [...] However, everytime, I listened to the CD, I hear 'hirogeta.' Any comments? Thank you, Teachers.

Google the original text? Anyway, doing so yields an interesting result: You find enough instances of both 開いた and 広げた being used for that song which strongly suggests that there is some "confusion" among Japanese themselves, which word is "correct". Or rather, we should say, both words are commonly used today. Furthermore, googling confirms that both the expressions 開いた手 and 広げた手 are possible.

There's also this youtube video confirming "広げた" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR2qzaiMadc . That's the only video of that song I found, however.
blutorange

Native language: German

Postby themonk » Sun 06.19.2011 9:49 pm

Teacher Blutorange~
Thank you for your help.

You were really thorough,too, in analyzing both words. Incidentally, you also showed me another path to finding answers - youtube.

Have a great week, Teacher Blutorange.

blutorange wrote:Google the original text? Anyway, doing so yields an interesting result: You find enough instances of both 開いた and 広げた being used for that song which strongly suggests that there is some "confusion" among Japanese themselves, which word is "correct". Or rather, we should say, both words are commonly used today. Furthermore, googling confirms that both the expressions 開いた手 and 広げた手 are possible.

There's also this youtube video confirming "広げた" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR2qzaiMadc . That's the only video of that song I found, however.
themonk

Postby Ranja » Tue 06.21.2011 9:38 pm

Hirogeta te means the hand that (someone) has opened intentionally. In that lyrics hiraita and hirogeta are virtually interchangeable, though they differ in nuance. Be aware that they are not always interchangeable.
Ranja

Native language: Japanese

Postby themonk » Sat 06.25.2011 10:58 am

Ranja wrote:Hirogeta te means the hand that (someone) has opened intentionally. In that lyrics hiraita and hirogeta are virtually interchangeable, though they differ in nuance. Be aware that they are not always interchangeable.

Thank you, Teacher Ranja. I did not know about that.
themonk

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems