Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - frequency words?

frequency words?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

frequency words?

Postby eekcm2 » Fri 07.08.2011 9:25 pm

Ive been learning japanese for a while now and I seem to have adjusted Pretty well. :) Im definitely not saying its easy but I do a Better grasp of the subject matter than most. but there is something that has been bugging me. I recently learned frequency words (in my genki text ^_^) and was wondering if they have a particle that goes with them, and where they go in the sentence if not. I havent seen enough of them in the book yet to know and any help on the matter would be greatly apreciated :)
eekcm2

Native language: US English

Re: frequency words?

Postby micahcowan » Fri 07.08.2011 9:53 pm

Sorry, I'm not sure I know what you mean by "frequency words". Can you give a few as examples?

I have a copy of Genki now (for my daughter, hopefully), but it's not handy at the moment...
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Fri 07.08.2011 10:07 pm

It depends on what frequency word it is, but generally you don't need a particle.

In the case of ときどき、ぜんぜん、よく、あまり and いつも you don't need a particle. You simply place it in an otherwise already working sentence without adding anything else.

For example;

私(わたし) は 映画(えいが) を 見(み)ます - I watch movie(s).
私 は よく 映画 を 見ます - I watch movies often.
私 は ぜんぜん 映画 を 見ません - I don't watch movies at all. (ぜんぜん requires that the verb it modifies is negative)

It's also possible to place frequency words after the を, but I believe it's textbook standard to learn it this way.

There are frequency words which use particles but I don't think you'll have to worry about them until you encounter them.
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Postby eekcm2 » Fri 07.08.2011 10:20 pm

LordOfTheFlies wrote:In the case of ときどき、ぜんぜん、よく、あまり and いつも you don't need a particle. You simply place it in an otherwise already working sentence without adding anything else
thank you very much that was exactly what i was looking for :D
eekcm2

Native language: US English

Postby CardinalGuy724 » Fri 09.16.2011 4:20 am

LordOfTheFlies wrote:It depends on what frequency word it is, but generally you don't need a particle.

I remember when I was just first starting to learn Japanese, I was overusing the particle に with my frequency/time words until my teacher told me that you use no particle with those words. Because of the way she sometimes spoke in ungrammatical English, I thought she meant you were supposed to use the particle の, and I quickly started replacing my にs with のs. When my teacher saw this she was really confused until I explained and then she burst out laughing. She then clarified what she meant and then we just both sat there laughing :lol:
CardinalGuy724

Native language: English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems