Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Can anybody CHECK the GRAMMAR! JLPT N5

Can anybody CHECK the GRAMMAR! JLPT N5

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Can anybody CHECK the GRAMMAR! JLPT N5

Postby lafemme » Thu 09.15.2011 6:32 am

Hello!))
Yesterday I was making up sentences, so I need somebodies help, in order to check the grammar! Just sentences, without any order. Here it is:

"Hajimemashite. Watashi wa Rosia kara kimashita. Tokyo de naraitai. Watashi wa asa kara yoru made benkyosuru OR benkyou shimasu. Mainichi wo tsukaremasu.

Datte utau no ga suki desu, demo utau no ga heta desu. Egaku no ga jyouzu desu. Watashi wa Nihongo wo wakaritai!

Kyonen gakusei shita OR datta. Ima ?wa? gakusei dewa arimasen. Rainen gakusei ni naru. Ongaku wo Kiite imasu.
Have special difficulties with this sentence: Coffee is my favourite drink at the morning: Asa kara cohe (コーヒ) wo sukina nomimono.

Watashi no okaasan atarashii no hon wo kaimashita, omoshiroi deshyou. Watashi wa kono hon wo yomimashita, omoshirokatta to tanoshikatta desu!"

I will be really grateful if someone will check and correct it! :)
お願いします
lafemme

Native language: 露語

Re: Can anybody CHECK the GRAMMAR! JLPT N5

Postby furrykef » Thu 09.15.2011 8:05 am

Pretty much every time you say "watashi wa" could be dropped. I'd only keep the first one, but you could drop that one too since the listener will know you're talking about yourself.

Watashi wa asa kara yoru made benkyosuru OR benkyou shimasu.

I'd go with "benkyou shiteimasu" if you mean you're doing this currently. If you mean you'll do it in the future, though, "shimasu" is the right choice. "suru" is the plain form, so in plain speech you'd use that.

Datte utau no ga suki desu, demo utau no ga heta desu.

Instead of "desu, demo", perhaps "desu kedo" or "desu ga", with the comma after "kedo" or "ga". I think "demo" is more for when it comes at the beginning of the sentence, rather than linking two sentences together.

Kyonen gakusei shita OR datta.

'datta' (or 'deshita' in polite speech).

Ima ?wa? gakusei dewa arimasen.

This can be said either with or without "wa". Using "wa" gives it more of a contrasting feeling (i.e. now as opposed to some other time). Since this follows your statement that you were a student, such a contrast seems appropriate: "I was a student last year, but now I am not."

Coffee is my favourite drink at the morning: Asa kara cohe (コーヒ) wo sukina nomimono.

Something like "Suki na asa no nomimono wa koohii desu", or "Koohii wa suki na asa no nomimono desu", depending on which you want to emphasize. You could also use "ga" instead of "wa" for the second one. The nuance is a bit different depending on whether you use "wa" or "ga". Here's a rough idea of the differences in nuance:
* Suki na asa no nomimono wa koohii desu. -- My favorite morning drink is coffee.
* Koohii wa suki na asa no nomimono desu. -- Coffee is my favorite morning drink.
* Koohii ga suki na asa no nomimono desu. -- It is coffee that is my favorite morning drink.

I wouldn't worry about it too much at your current level, but I knew if I said "there are some differences in nuance" and left it at that, it'd probably drive you nuts. :)

By the way, note that it's コーヒー, not コーヒ.

Watashi no okaasan atarashii no hon wo kaimashita, omoshiroi deshyou.

Your mother is not "okaasan" unless you are talking to her or someone in your family. When you are talking to someone outside your family, your mother is "haha". Note that "watashi no haha" is redundant because "haha" will automatically be understood to be your own mother. Also, you don't need a "no" after "atarashii". Finally, after "kaimashita" the sentence is over (aside from any particles markers like "yo" or "ne") unless you use a conjunction like "kedo", so use a period rather than a comma. Put it all together and you get, "Haha wa atarashii hon wo kaimashita. Omoshiroi deshou."

Watashi wa kono hon wo yomimashita,

You might want to consider "mo" in place of "wa". "mo" has the connotation of "also" or "too", so it would mean "I've read that book too".

omoshirokatta to tanoshikatta desu!

Unfortunately, you can't just use "to" for the word "and". It works with nouns, but not with adjectives or verbs or anything else. In this case you want the te form: "omoshirokute tanoshikatta desu."
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Re: Can anybody CHECK the GRAMMAR! JLPT N5

Postby lafemme » Thu 09.15.2011 10:21 am

furrykef
:o THANK YOU SO MUCH for helping me!!!! :) :) :D Cause I`m sort of lost! And have problems with Particles! And not only.......It`s not a problem for me to memorise Kanji, but Grammar is my soft spot in every language.....=(((
Thank you for such a detailed explonation!!! :P I have to become more thoughtful and attentive......

So gone to improve everything I can! :D
lafemme

Native language: 露語

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems