Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese compound verbs

Japanese compound verbs

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Japanese compound verbs

Postby elsidu » Wed 04.18.2012 10:47 am

Hello,

I want to ask you if you know some materials for my graduation thesis (卒業論文).
My topic is "Japanese compound verbs" in japanese 複合動詞. I need to find some more materials but I can't ;(
If some of you would like to share some pdfs etc. please let me know here. I would be very gratefull :)

I need some info about te-iku/te-kuru compounds, normal V-V compounds and many more so if you have something, please let me know ;)

Thanks
Elsidu
elsidu

Native language: Polish

Re: Japanese compound verbs

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 04.18.2012 12:59 pm

My idea for my thesis was rejected so I had to do Japanese peasants -_-"

I'm not sure where to find lists, but there are a huge number that begin with 取り or 引き so that might be a good starting point.

If you count -te iku/kuru as a compound, you'd have examples of triple-word compounds (e.g 盛り上がってくる)

The Japanese dictionary definition of 複合動詞 gave 「恥じ入る」and「長引く」as examples, not sure if there is anything special about them (other than nagabiku being a fusion of an adjective and a verb)

Sorry that's not extremely helpful :/
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby jimbreen » Wed 04.18.2012 7:37 pm

elsidu wrote:I want to ask you if you know some materials for my graduation thesis (卒業論文).
My topic is "Japanese compound verbs" in japanese 複合動詞. I need to find some more materials but I can't ;(
If some of you would like to share some pdfs etc. please let me know here. I would be very gratefull :)

I wrote a paper about 複合動詞 a few years back. You can get it at http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/jcv.pdf Some of the references at the back might be worth following up. Mariko Kubota's thesis has about the most extensive coverage of 複合動詞 that I could find in English. It's hard to get a copy - you have to buy a scan from ANU or somewhere for several hundred dollars. (Mariko lent me her old diskettes, but they were unreadable. I ended up photocopying extracts from her hard copy.)
I need some info about te-iku/te-kuru compounds, normal V-V compounds and many more so if you have something, please let me know ;)

te-iku/te-kuru compounds are often not regarded as real 複合動詞. Generally the first verb has to be "masu-stem".

HTH

Jim
jimbreen

Postby elsidu » Thu 04.19.2012 9:58 am

Thank you for that.

About te-iku/kuru I was told that I can do a chapter about it. I will have 3 chapters.
1st. - Informational (morphology etc.)
2nd. - "real" 複合動詞
3th. - te-iku/kuru/iru (gramaticalization)

I wrote some about 2nd already but it's not finished yet and now I need to write something about 3th one. So any help will be good ;) Thx again for this paper.
elsidu

Native language: Polish

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems