Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 大翔 「だいしょう」?

大翔 「だいしょう」?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

大翔 「だいしょう」?

Postby Antenshi » Sat 08.25.2012 7:46 pm

I was looking up some kanji on "tangorin.com", and found this word, although it was colored red (meaning it had no explanation in the dictionary), and the example sentence doesn't give many clues as to what it means.
Here's the example sentence:
おめー(お前)が大翔か?今までずいぶんとでかい顔してくれたなあ?
You're Daisho? Up till now you've really lorded it over us haven't you?

The only thing I could think of it meaning would be a family name. As if to say he's lording his family's position over everyone else.

Anyone have any ideas?
Antenshi

Native language: 英語

Re: 大翔 「だいしょう」?

Postby jimbreen » Sat 08.25.2012 8:12 pm

Antenshi wrote:I was looking up some kanji on "tangorin.com", and found this word, although it was colored red (meaning it had no explanation in the dictionary), and the example sentence doesn't give many clues as to what it means.
Here's the example sentence:
おめー(お前)が大翔か?今までずいぶんとでかい顔してくれたなあ?
You're Daisho? Up till now you've really lorded it over us haven't you?

Tangorin, and many other sites, use the "Tanaka Corpus", which is a collection of about 150,000 Japanese-English sentence pairs. About 10 years ago I set it up so it could be used as examples in dictionary apps; segmenting the Japanese into words as found in JMdict, etc. You can read about it here: http://www.edrdg.org/wiki/index.php/Tanaka_Corpus That sentence is from the Tanaka collection.

The only thing I could think of it meaning would be a family name.

That's exactly what it is.

As if to say he's lording his family's position over everyone else.

Or something like he's the thug called Daisho who's been running a local gang. I don't think there's any implication of family position.

Knowing when things are proper names and when they are regular words can be a bit tricky. 清水 means "spring water", but it's also a common family name.

Jim
jimbreen

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems