Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - comparing words

comparing words

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

comparing words

Postby japankid26 » Fri 02.01.2013 7:54 pm

hello people's!!

I have been wondering how to compare words that are like the same but have different meanings?

(would you care to show some examples?)
お邪魔します!

手伝ってください。
japankid26

Native language: 英語

Re: comparing words

Postby bunalz3 » Mon 02.04.2013 1:20 am

I don't understand what you meant by "how to", but here is a few ones that I could think of right now:

Same pronounciation; different meaning
1. Hanasu (話す) = to speak: Watashi wa sensei to hanashimasu = I talk with (the) teacher.
2. Hanasu (放す) = to let go: Watashi wa neko wo hanashimashita = I let the cat go.
3. Hanasu (離す) = to separate: Watashi wa kenka shiteiru gakusei wo hanashimashita = I separated the students who were fighting.

Same meaning, different context
1. Wakaru (分かる): Sensei, shitsumon ga wakarimasen = Teacher, I don't understand the question.
2. Rikaisuru (理解する): Jinsei no mokuteki wo rikai shitai desu = I want to understand the purpose of life.
*to understand

3. Benkyousuru (勉強する): Raishuu, shiken ga aru node, kore wo benkyou shinakereba narimasen = I have to study these topics because of the coming test next week.
4. Manabu (学ぶ): Yume no tame ni, iro iro no koto wo manabanakereba narimasen = In order to achieve my dream, I have to study a lot of things.
*to study

Note: Manabu also means "to learn" which is different from "narau (習う)" and "osowaru (教わる)". Sorry, I couldn't explain them.

Similar meaning, different situation
1. Youyaku (ようやく): At last, I can watch Japanese drama without relying on the subtitles.
2. Yatto (やっと): After searching every single corner of the house for hours, I finally found the lost key.
3. Tsuini (ついに): After a while, he finally came.
4. Iyoiyo (いよいよ): Finally, it's time to return these textbooks.
5. Toutou (とうとう): The research of so many years is finally completed.
6. Kekkyouku (結局): In the end, a dream is just a dream.
*at last/finally, etc.

Also, I haven't read much myself but I think this book (Kodansha's Effective Japanese Usage Dictionary) should elaborate the usages more for the second and the third cases.
bunalz3

Native language: Malay

Re: comparing words

Postby japankid26 » Wed 02.06.2013 1:54 pm

thank you!! :D
お邪魔します!

手伝ってください。
japankid26

Native language: 英語

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems