Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - あまりにも + しまったのでした

あまりにも + しまったのでした

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

あまりにも + しまったのでした

Postby HelplessNexus » Wed 03.13.2013 5:24 am

So, the sentence I'm having trouble deciphering is this excerpt from the story, ”走る名人”.
The sentence is:
”なんと「走る名人」はあまりにも足がはやすぎておいかけていたどろぼうをおいぬいてしまたのでした。”
I know what あまり would normally mean, but I've seen it around being used with にも, but I haven't really paid much attention to it until just recently. What is the closest translation you could get with that?
As far as しまたのでした goes, it's kind of the same issue with that, I just haven't paid very much attention to it, although I have less of an idea of what this means than I would with あまりにも.

If anyone could help me with this, I would appreciate it wholeheartedly.
HelplessNexus

Native language: English

Re: あまりにも + しまったのでした

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Thu 03.14.2013 5:35 pm

”なんと「走る名人」はあまりにも足がはやすぎておいかけていたどろぼうをおいぬいてしまたのでした。”

And what do you know, the Master of Running had such a surplus of excessive speed that when he caught up with the thief, he kept going right past.

In this case, あまり is taking on its meaning of 'excessive', which is doubling-up the meaning of 'はやすぎて'. You could take あまりにも out, and the sentence would mean the same basic thing, it would just be less emphatic about it.
あまりにも is, I think, just a case of に making it into an adverbial form so it can modify 'はやすぎて', and も is doing one of its normal jobs, pointing out that something is a remarkable amount.

~しまたのでした should be ~しまったのでした
~しまった - expresses regret or 'oopsness' (if that were a word) of the preceding verb.
の makes it explanatory
でした just puts a polite-past cap on the sentence.
SomeCallMeChris

Re: あまりにも + しまったのでした

Postby HelplessNexus » Sat 03.23.2013 10:47 pm

Lol, I realized I misspelled しまった in basically the entire post coming back to this thread.
I'll go back over a few things and get these down, thanks for the help, I appreciate it :D
HelplessNexus

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems