Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Grammar

Grammar

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Grammar

Postby Darnellrbts » Tue 05.20.2014 8:34 pm

Hi i'm learning basic japanese from Genki 1. I just want to know if i'm forming correct sentences. I'm trying to describe my friend. And i does this sentence mean he often smokes outside? かれは外でよくたばこをすっています。??

私の友だちは今日仕事に帰りました。かれは二十四さいです。メリーランドに住んでいます。とてもせがたかいです。かみがみじかいです。かれは仕事の外でよくたばこをすっています。へやでよくおさけを飲んでいます。
Last edited by Darnellrbts on Wed 05.21.2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darnellrbts

Native language: English

Re: Grammer

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 05.21.2014 4:39 am

かれは外でよくたばこをすっています。??

Seems fine :D

私の友だちは今日仕事に帰りました。かれは二十四さいです。メリーランドに住んでいます。とてもせがたかいです。かみがみじかいです。かれは仕事の外でよくたばこをすっています。へやでよくおさけを飲んでいます。

Rather than 帰りました which implies returning to your (his) house, I'd suggest 戻りました (lit. returned.)

「仕事の外」>>仕事 means 'work,' but I'm not sure you can use it refer to the workplace itself. Perhaps a native speaker could confirm this. I reckon 職場(しょくば, workplace) would be fine here, but there may be another suitable expression (I'm assuming that you mean he smokes right outside the building where he works)

EDIT: One more thing, Grammer > Grammar. Spelling is important too, ya know :wink:
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Re: Grammar

Postby Darnellrbts » Wed 05.21.2014 7:46 am

Haha thanks for pointing out the grammar spelling error :blush: . And thanks for answering my question. And i was trying to say he smokes right outside the work place.
Darnellrbts

Postby Darnellrbts » Tue 06.03.2014 10:40 am

I don't know if i'm suppose to open a new topic or just post in here. I just want to make sure that i'm understanding the article i'm reading correctly. I'm trying to practice reading some news article from New webs easy site. This is some of the article i'm trying to read.

日産自動車にっさんじどうしゃは26日にち、「スカイライン」の新あたらしいモデルを発表はっぴょうしました。スカイラインは日産にっさんで人気にんきの車くるまです。
新あたらしいモデルには、日産にっさんと協力きょうりょくしているドイツの自動車じどうしゃ会社がいしゃが作つくったエンジンを使つかっています。このエンジンはメルセデス・ベンツにも使つかわれています。

On the 26th Nissan announced a new Skyline model. Nissan skyline is a popular car. The new model will use an engine made from the collaboration of Nissan and a german auto company. This engine has been used in the Mercedes Benz.
Darnellrbts

Postby Dustin » Tue 06.03.2014 6:25 pm

I don't particularly like how the furigana all shows up directly after the kanji compounds, makes it more difficult to parse through.

For the benefit of anyone else, here is the original article: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10014739011000/k10014739011000.html

日産自動車は26日、「スカイライン」の新しいモデルを発表しました。

スカイラインは日産で人気の車です。

新しいモデルには、日産と協力しているドイツの自動車会社が作ったエンジンを使っています。

このエンジンはメルセデス・ベンツにも使われています。

For the most part ( at least to me ) it looks pretty good. I'd probably only tweak it a little, some of which may sound less natural.

Nissan skyline is a popular car -> I'd probably read this more as "The skyline, ( of/among) Nissan's cars, is popular."

The new model will use an engine made from the collaboration of Nissan and a german auto company. -> ”A german auto company ( who is collaborating with Nissan ), made the engine which will be used in the new model" since collaborating with Nissan seems to be modifying the german auto company, who made the engine.

This engine has been used in the Mercedes Benz. ->This engine is *also* used in mercedez-benzes (but I wouldn't say in "the" mercedez-benz, since they make several models)

Hope that helps a bit :p
Dustin

Postby Darnellrbts » Wed 06.04.2014 1:58 pm

Sorry about that i just copied and pasted it i didn't realize it did that :P . Thanks for answering my question,It helps a lot especially with the two sentences you changed around. I was a little confused on those :blush: but i tried haha. But thanks again.
Darnellrbts

Postby Dustin » Wed 06.04.2014 6:01 pm

Darnellrbts wrote:Sorry about that i just copied and pasted it i didn't realize it did that :P .

No big deal, it happens, when I copy from anki with furigana above it does the same thing :p

Darnellrbts wrote: Thanks for answering my question,It helps a lot especially with the two sentences you changed around. I was a little confused on those :blush: but i tried haha. But thanks again.

No problem! :) Glad I could help!
Dustin

Postby y suzu » Fri 08.22.2014 11:48 pm

I'm a native speaker of Japanese.
Sorry for my poor English, and not used to post.
What Ongakuka さん writes are correct.
仕事 usually refer to 'work/job' and not refer to 'working place'.
'職場(しょくば)' is most appropriate, I think.
I hope your happpy learning.
y suzu

Native language: Japanese

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems