Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Help with Genki II "何がいますか”  ????

Help with Genki II "何がいますか”  ????

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Help with Genki II "何がいますか”  ????

Postby johansaltin » Wed 07.15.2015 6:19 pm

So I have a problem.

I am currently studying japanese but at the moment just by myself so I have no one to ask and I feel that I have read through the chapter thoroughly. The focus is on arimasu and imasu, these I understand.

What I have a real problem is when Nan/Nani is after the particle NI and before ga.... I dont get it

So here is the questions I have been asked to answer in the textbook (there is no translation in the book)

I will write my translation next to the japanese one so you can see if I get it.

あなたの町(town)に日本のレストランがありますか= Do you have any japanese restaurants in your town?

あなたの家(house/home)にねこがいますか=Du you have a housecat/ "Does your house have a cat"..sort of(?)

あなたの学校(school)に何がありますか= What school do you go to?

この教室(classroom)にだれがいますか= Who is in this classroom? (This just sounds weird to me)

デパートに何があrみあすか= This I don't get at all

Toubutsuen(zoo)に何がいますか=This I don't get either. Imasu I thought was for people/animals a zoo is not a living object...

あなたの国(country)なにありますか=What country are you from?

あなたの家(house)に何がありますか= What do you live in? What is your home.... I dont know, im struggling.

Help is much appreciated.

I am struggling a bit with the particles as you probably can see.

Thank you in advance!

Also I thought that "anata" was a strange choice of word in this bit. Thought that was reserved for... well like your wife or something.
johansaltin

Native language: swedish

Re: Help with Genki II "何がいますか”  ????

Postby richvh » Fri 07.17.2015 8:36 am

johansaltin wrote:So I have a problem.

I am currently studying japanese but at the moment just by myself so I have no one to ask and I feel that I have read through the chapter thoroughly. The focus is on arimasu and imasu, these I understand.

What I have a real problem is when Nan/Nani is after the particle NI and before ga.... I dont get it

So here is the questions I have been asked to answer in the textbook (there is no translation in the book)

I will write my translation next to the japanese one so you can see if I get it.

あなたの町(town)に日本のレストランがありますか= Do you have any japanese restaurants in your town?

Are there Japanese restaurants in your town?
あなたの家(house/home)にねこがいますか=Du you have a housecat/ "Does your house have a cat"..sort of(?)

Is there a cat in your house?

あなたの学校(school)に何がありますか= What school do you go to?

What is there in/at your school?

この教室(classroom)にだれがいますか= Who is in this classroom? (This just sounds weird to me)

But that is, literally, what it's saying. And the only one you actually got completely right.
デパートに何がありますか= This I don't get at all

What is in this department (store)?
Toubutsuen(zoo)に何がいますか=This I don't get either. Imasu I thought was for people/animals a zoo is not a living object...

What (animals) are in the zoo (should be doubutsuens動物園)
あなたの国(country)なにありますか=What country are you from?

I think you dropped a が after なに. What is in your country?
あなたの家(house)に何がありますか= What do you live in? What is your home.... I dont know, im struggling.

What is in your house?

Also I thought that "anata" was a strange choice of word in this bit. Thought that was reserved for... well like your wife or something.

Well, it's more polite than alternatives like "kimi" (a little too familiar or condescending to use with a random stranger), "omae" or "kisama". I presume these are exercise questions, meant to be asked to a fellow student who responds appropriately?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby johansaltin » Tue 07.21.2015 7:24 pm

Thank you for your reply.

So after a day or two reading it again and letting the information "settle" in I wonder if I'm right when stating the following:

Arimasu/Imasu in these cases are referring to something/someone "existing" in the specific place mentioned before に ???

Is that for example when talking about the zoo 動物園に何がいますか the Imasu ka in these case are refering to "living things" within the zoo?
So therefore its a question in the likes of "what animals are inside the zoo?"

The word animal is not mentioned because it is understood/assumed that the speaker is referring to the animals when asking what living things exists inside the zoo???

Am I on the right track here? It feels like it.

Damn man, to totally disregard the structure of your own language when learning a new one is hard... The biggest trap, at least for me.

Yes it is questions in The Genki textbook and is supposed to be a group exercise.
However I am doing it for myself so no one to ask when stuck.
johansaltin

Native language: swedish

Postby richvh » Tue 07.21.2015 8:01 pm

Yes, you're getting it.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems