Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Reading the attack on titan manga...

Reading the attack on titan manga...

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Reading the attack on titan manga...

Postby Nihongo No Gakusei » Sat 08.22.2015 1:45 am

I just received the Attack On Titan manga in Japanese as a birthday present and so far it has not exactly raised my confidence a whole lot as I am having a great deal more trouble with it than I had hoped... here are two of the sentences I could use help with alongside the English version's translations:
お前。。。髪が伸びてないか。。。? "Aww, when did your hair get so long?" (said by a character waking from a nap with another character over him)
I recognize 髪 as hair and I am told by Google translate that 伸びる means to extend, but I don't understand this apparent te-form + nai construction. Is it that casual shortening of "inai", making this the te-iru tense? But then why wouldn't the sentence by negative? Also, where is 'when' in the Japanese?

The response to this was そんなに寝ぼけるまで熟睡してたの?"Were you really so sound asleep that you were still dreaming when you woke up?" which I think I understand, and then comes:
イヤッ。。。なんかすっげ一長い夢を見ていた気がするんだけど。。。 "No... but I feel like I just had the longest dream..."
Google translate doesn't return anything for sugge and perhaps the most confusing thing of all, the character "一" was actually written vertically instead of horizontally, but had no furigana so I don't know what to make of it. I get 長い夢を見ていた but not this usage of 気.
Well, 手伝いにありがとうございました... pretty sure that's not correct...
Nihongo No Gakusei

Native language: English

Re: Reading the attack on titan manga...

Postby richvh » Sun 08.23.2015 10:26 pm

Your hair... isn't it getting long? (Somewhat more literal version of the first sentence.)

Sugge is a casual form of sugoi, which you should be able to look up. Ki ga suru is an idiom. Useful site for idioms.

Finally, it should be 手伝ってありがとうございます。
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 08.25.2015 11:04 am

Hi 学生さん

perhaps the most confusing thing of all, the character "一" was actually written vertically instead of horizontally, but had no furigana so I don't know what to make of it.

When you were reading the manga, all the text is vertical, right? This line is a 長音記号(elongted vowel) symbol like you get in katakana. So it follows the direction of the text.

I get 長い夢を見ていた but not this usage of 気.

気がする means "get a feeling that.." So you transacted it right.

For example, 誰かに見られている気がする = I feel like I'm being watched

In this case, it might be more natural to end your post with something like
教えてください!
よろしくお願いします!
(maybe.)

Let us know if you have any more questions! :D
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Danilo B » Tue 08.25.2015 5:28 pm

Hello,

I am a new here, and I am sorry because my post will not match with the topic, but I see that here was the last activation and therefore I am posting where I hope that it will be read.

I have a question, can someone who is familiar and knows a lot about Japanese history and culture get in contact with me and help explore how the good values from the past of Japanese culture and history could be implemented in modern Japan and what they could influence most.

Thank you! :)
Danilo B

Native language: Serbian

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems