Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - does this sound alright?

does this sound alright?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

does this sound alright?

Postby Superflat Monogram » Tue 11.22.2005 3:11 pm

Im off to america on holiday, and i want to say this to my japanese teacher.

この土曜日に わたしはアメリカにいきますだから、来週ここできません。

for the last part could an alternative be ここでこないいます。

advice appreciated.
Superflat Monogram

RE: does this sound alright?

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 11.22.2005 9:30 pm

今週土曜日、私はアメリカへ行きますから、来週授業に来れません。

Would be the best, I think.

Corrections:
If you use a に to denote time, you should use へ to denote the place you are going.

When you use から with a verb, you don't need だ.

Also, when you くる somewhere, you need to use に, not で.

Also, if you are currently in class, you would use くる to refer to coming to class, but if you are not currently in class, you would use いく to refer to going to class.

Finally, when you can't do something, it's best to use the potential form (can do) instead of the standard form. If you use the standard form, it sounds like you CAN go, but aren't going to.

Have fun in america. Where are you going?
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Superflat Monogram » Wed 11.23.2005 12:22 am

When you use から with a verb, you don't need だ.

Ooops, it was meant to read as "dakara" ("therefore" ) but i take it you cant use that word after verbs, only adjectives?

If you use a に to denote time, you should use へ to denote the place you are going.

Oh, i thought へ and に were similar to denote location, i.e. you can use either particle.

Also, when you くる somewhere, you need to use に, not で.

the reason i used で here was because i've been told that it can express an action, for example...."koen de ikimasu" (im going to the park) meaning im going to the park, and when i get there i "will do something". So i was trying to state that i wont be coming to class to do something (in this case studying). Arghhhhh, im confused about this one, lol.

Finally, when you can't do something, it's best to use the potential form (can do) instead of the standard form. If you use the standard form, it sounds like you CAN go, but aren't going to.
is this related to the sentence? i didnt use dekiru/dekimasu, unless im missing something here.

What i'll do as well (i have class on wednesdays) i'll say my and your sentence and give feedback of what she says, just to get her opinions on it.

thanks for your help mate, much appreciated.
Superflat Monogram

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 11.23.2005 7:09 am

Superflat Monogram wrote:
Ooops, it was meant to read as "dakara" ("therefore" ) but i take it you cant use that word after verbs, only adjectives?

だから and から are the same, but differ slightly grammatically. だから is the same as ですから -- which is the form of から used for nouns and な adjectives.

Oh, i thought へ and に were similar to denote location, i.e. you can use either particle.

They are, but for readability's sake, when you use に to denote time, it is generally best to use へ for the place, or so I've been told.

the reason i used で here was because i've been told that it can express an action, for example...."koen de ikimasu" (im going to the park) meaning im going to the park, and when i get there i "will do something".

I'm not sure about where you heard that, but when you go to a park, it's always going to be に. However, if you are playing baseball in the park (or any other activity) you would use で, but not use the いく verb.
Example: 公園で野球した。

is this related to the sentence? i didnt use dekiru/dekimasu, unless im missing something here.

You said that you won't come to class with こない。 instead, you should use I *can't* come to class (来れない or 来ることができません)

Glad to be of help. =)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems