Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The ending 「さ」 in adjectives and how it works

The ending 「さ」 in adjectives and how it works

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

The ending 「さ」 in adjectives and how it works

Postby JoshM » Sun 11.27.2005 11:33 am

I've been taught that an adjective in Japanese can suffer a serious number of changes; it can be modified as a verb with tenses and it can acquire an adverbial form.
But I was wondering how exactly work an adjective modified to end in 「さ」, specially, after I've saw in lyrics of a music the word 「青さ」. What is it? Is it a noun form of "aoi"? But if it is, how it distinguish from 「あお」?
Also, I've checked a dictionary and found things like 「はやさ」 and 「はや」, 「たのしさ」, etc.
Is there anyone who can explain how this suffix works in adjectives? Is there a similar a rule to adjectives which use the particle 「な」?
In advance, I'm very grateful.
JoshM

RE: The ending 「さ」 in adjectives and how it works

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 11.27.2005 11:57 am

あお == blue
あおい == blue (something)
あおさ == blue-ness

colors may be an odd example to start with, but you're right, it's the noun form of an adjective and it's the same for both types, replacing the な or い.

しずかな〜 == a quiet (something)
しずかさ == quietness
zengargoyle

Postby n8starr » Tue 11.29.2005 8:13 pm

What about -sa as an ending of a sentence? I have also seen -me, -na, -ze, -zo, and sometimes the name of the person talking after every sentence too and that is confusing as well...i see the last example mostly in japanese video games...
anata o miteite!
[small]Estoy mirandote![/small]
n8starr

Postby mandolin » Tue 11.29.2005 10:12 pm

About 3 days ago I asked about -sa at the end of a sentence. Well, I thought it was attached to a noun, but Harisenbon-san cleared up that misconception right off. :)

-sa at the end of a sentence lends it a softer, more casual tone.

-me -- um.. you sure it's not -ne? I don't know about -me at the end of a sentence, but -ne is very common. It expects agreement from the listener(s). You could loosely translate it into english with "Isn't it?" or "okay?"

ii otenki desu ne. <--- Nice weather, isn't it? (wants someone to agree)

-na -- Often used when someone is musing to themselves. It's sort of like -ne but doesn't actually want a comment from anyone else that might be listening. Gives a personal opinion about something.

-yo (You didn't mention it, but my previous version of this post included it, so now it's an FYI!) indicates a person's opinion (kind of like -na) only with yet another nuance. It's when you're telling someone something you think they don't already know, or that you know something better than they do. You might translate it into "you know?"

kyou wa samuii desu yo. <--- it's cold outside today, you know. (you might say this to someone leaving the house in a t-shirt and no coat).

Ending a sentence with the speaker's name? Sorry to say I haven't encountered this at all. You sure you haven't mixed up the speaker's name with the person they're talking to?

EDIT: Took out my incorrect info on -ze and -zo after Harisenbon-san's post down there. ---v ^_^
Last edited by mandolin on Wed 11.30.2005 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
mandolin

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 11.29.2005 10:47 pm

We had a post about ze and zo a few months ago, I'm going to try and remember what the difference was (it's kind of vague in my mind). If I'm completely wrong, I apologize.

ze is used when informing someone of something they didn't know. It carries a slightly masculine and definately strong tone to it.
熱いぜ -- (the water's) hot!

zo is the strong/masculine form of let's, such as let's go do something.
行こう -- let's go
行くぞ -- let's rock.

At least that's what I remember. Anyone have confirmation?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by putting someone's name after every sentence. Children's games (I'm thinking of MarioRPG here) use character's names alot to reinforce who is talking to who, and what the character's names are... Is that what you mean?
ピーチ姫がつかまれた!どうしよう、マリオ?!
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby mr_pain » Wed 11.30.2005 8:04 am

I recall (vaguely) that ze was almost rude - and had connotations that the listener didnt beleave what was being said e.g.

熱いぞ -- the water's hot damn it I tell you!

However Im still working on conjugating my verbs properly so take what I say that with a pinch of salt :)
Last edited by mr_pain on Wed 11.30.2005 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr_pain

Postby lomagu » Wed 11.30.2005 9:10 am

ぜ and ぞ are particularly rude, it just depends on who you're talking to. They're both used in the same way as よ (to add emphasis), but mainly by men. ぜ is a little softer than ぞ though.

for example,
頑張るぜ - I'll give it my best shot.
頑張るぞ - Make way, here I come!

a couple others...
先に行くぜ。 - I'm leaving now.
その仕事、君に頼んだぞ。 - You'd better get cracking on that job.

I think さ is weird. In 東海 area they use it at the end, in the middle & I think everywhere possible in their sentences. I think of it kind of like the word "like" in English. You know, like, I went to the store yesterday, but there was like, no one there... or something like that.
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby netarou » Wed 11.30.2005 10:19 am

Yes, some people use さ everywhere in their sentences!
あのさ、オレさ、昨日さ、店にさ、行ったんだけどさ、そしたらさ、誰もさ、いなかったのさ。
なんてさ、そんなのさ、ウモノさ、決まってんじゃんかさ。
And some people use ね instead.
あのね、だからね、さっきもね、言った通りね、私はね、全くね、そういうね、つもりはね、ないんだよね。
そういうね、ことでね。ね、分かってくれるね?じゃあね、よろしくね。
My head hurts...
netarou

Postby n8starr » Fri 12.02.2005 12:02 am

thanks to all of you, it has been very helpful, -me i will have to find an example of, as for someone's name ending every sentence, i was playing Densetsu no Stafi 1 a few days ago, i will have to pull out the sentences from the game, i remember who said them. They will probably be in romaji since i havent gotten the typing part of the japanese script set up, i can see the kana/kanji already....
Last edited by n8starr on Fri 12.02.2005 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
anata o miteite!
[small]Estoy mirandote![/small]
n8starr

Postby Phurdonk » Tue 12.13.2005 11:26 pm

I have to say ありがとう as well because I was always wondering what さ does to an adjective. Plus, I got a whole lot of other grammatical info as well! :) Very much appreciated.
Phurdonk

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems