Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Best grammar book?

Best grammar book?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Best grammar book?

Postby Jobo » Tue 03.15.2005 12:36 am

I'm looking for a grammar book that starts as though you have just started Japanese, but gets fairly into grammar. Clay's pages are great, but I feel with a physical book I could get more structured and disciplined than I am... so, does anyone have suggestions for good grammar books for beginners?
Waiting for October
Cross my fingers
Cross my heart
And hope to die.
Jobo

RE: Best grammar book?

Postby toryn » Tue 03.15.2005 7:47 am

Hmmm, I don't know about that. For a beginner, in my opinion it's good to start out with any learners' book, to have basic grammar as well as vocabulary to build around. If you're after something just with straight-out grammar points, the language might be more difficult to understand.

I started off with the Kimono books (though one of my teachers preferred the Obento Kids for her junior high students beginning Japanese). Others like Japanese for Busy People, or Japanese for the Tourist Industry (something like that) look alright (I've got both) but I found it easier to have something that went into hiragana fairly quickly.

It depends what you want to do with Japanese - are you going to Japan anytime soon, or just learning it here? If you're just learning 'theoretically' and not for any immediate authentic Japanese conversations, you can afford to lose time by plunging into grammar fast without support. Otherwise, you're probably more interested in phrases - though you sound like the former.

Sorry, I didn't really answer your question, but I hope you'll consider my advice. :)
toryn

Postby Jobo » Wed 03.16.2005 9:43 pm

If anyone is interested, I found a helpful Japanese page at WikiBooks, too.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese

That covers a lot of things ^_^
Waiting for October
Cross my fingers
Cross my heart
And hope to die.
Jobo

Postby Darbai » Mon 03.21.2005 6:35 pm

As you can't say which grammar book is the best until you've read them all, what I can say is that the Genki grammar series is a very good one. It as a good structure when you have to start reading hiragana from the beginning without kanji. Then it makes it harder taking away the Romanji form and adding some kanji. They turn up the difficulty over time there you got yourself a good way to learn japanese.

But I've noticed that reading about grammar at this page is also wonderful! I love the way Clay have done the layout of the grammar pages, very good for both begninners and a little more advance students!

So my tip for you is, search around for information about all the other textbooks there is, get one and start studying. But always check this page when you move into an area in the textbook that you don't know much about, (so basically come see this site everytime you get to a new chapter) and your learning will go smooth!!
What what!? Where am I? Oh, I\'m sleeping again!
Darbai

Postby ben » Tue 03.22.2005 10:33 am

I agree with Darbai, i like the way Clay teaches and i highly recommend this site, i took japanese class at my old school and i hated the teacher, she didn't explain well (i think that is the #1 most inportant thing to being a teacher) she made it boring by just piling work on us and expecting us to already know it. I like working on my own, i work at my pace and i understand it better by using my own methods and Clay's lessons. Otherwise find a good bookstore that has japanese books and lessons (if there is a bookstore around you with these books) but just buy some grammer books. :D
Learning slowly, but surely...

...maybe...
ben

Postby KRed » Fri 03.25.2005 10:06 pm

I liked "Minna No Nihongo" as a textbook starter to Japanese Grammar (it`s a good idea to buy the english explanation book as the main textbook contains no english whatsoever).

In terms of reference for grammar "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" and "All About Particles" have helped me greatly.
KRed

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems