Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - うち、間に、時

うち、間に、時

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

うち、間に、時

Postby lomagu » Sat 12.17.2005 11:43 pm

I'm not sure about when to use the word うち. The only time I know when to use it is そのうち - sometime in the future. At first, I thought it was like 時 - when, but it seems to be more like 間に - while. I don't really know what the difference is though. Is there anyone that can explain it? thanx :D
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

RE: うち、間に、時

Postby tgmerritt » Sun 12.18.2005 3:56 am

うち is also used by females instead of 私.
misaiato.blogspot.com
tgmerritt

Postby Gaijinian » Sun 12.18.2005 8:54 am

Sorry, had to erase my post, because I really don't know...:(
Last edited by Gaijinian on Sun 12.18.2005 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Postby Justin » Sun 12.18.2005 4:47 pm

To tell you the truth, I’m not all that great at explaining stuff like this, but let me see if I can be of any help here or not. I just hope the example sentences and explanations in Japanese make up for my sub-par English explanations.

<範囲>
Nのうち

(1)三つのうちから好きなものを選びなさい。

Used this way it’s just the same as 「Nのなか」

Nのうちに入らない
A-いうちに入らないい
Vうちに入らない

(1)ラーメンを作るのが得意だなんて、そんなの料理のうちに入らないよ。

Similar to the「Nのうち」above, however, this time around you’re using it with はいらない, so you’re expressing the fact that your previous statement doesn’t fit into the same group as what you used with うちにはいらない, in this case, making ramen isn’t considered cooking.

<時間>
Nのうちに
Naなうちに
A-うちに

(1)父親が元気なうちに、一度一緒に温泉にでも行こうと思う。

Used in this fashion, it holds a meaning such as…「その状態が続く間に」or「その時間以内に」. From our example sentence above, we could translate the first part as…

While my Dad is still healthy….

V-ている/V-る うちに

(1)彼女は話しているうちに顔が真っ赤になった。

Probably starting to see a pattern here, but used in this way, it gives you that 「…している間に」or “while doing something…” type of meaning.

V-ないうちに

(1)知らないうちに隣は引っ越していた。
(2)お母さんが帰ってこないうちに急いでプレゼントを隠した。

In example sentence (1) there, very similar to the above V-ている/V-る うちに, this time around it’s changed to…「…しない状態が続いている間に」or “while I didn’t (know)” type of meaning.

For example sentence (2) there, it’s pretty much the same as saying… 「V-る前に」or “before (mom gets home)”.

V-るか V-ないうちに

(1)朝まだ目が覚めるか覚めないうちに、友達が迎えにきた。

This one is a bit different from some of the other ones above, but used like this, it gives you that…「なにかをし始めてまだほとんど時間がたっていない時に」or in other words… “before I could even (fully wake up)” type of meaning.

Nのうちは
Naなうちは
A-いうちは
V-る/V-ている うちは
V-ない うちは

(1)体が健康なうちは健康のありがたさに気づかないが、病気になって初めてそれが分かる。

With this form of うち you’re expressing that… 「ある状態が変わらないでまだ続いている間」or from our example sentence there you could say… “While you’ve still got your health, you don’t ever realize how thankful you are to have it, but…”

Nのうちが
Naなうちが
A-いうちが
V-る/V-ている うちが
V-ない うちが

留学するなら若いうちが良い。

Very similar to the のうちは we have above, but this time we’ve got が there at the end instead. Following the が there, you would generally see 花だ、勝負だ、いい、幸せだ as you’re expressing the fact that… 「ある状態が続いていて変わらない間がよい、大切だ、大事だ」or in other words… “if you’re going to study abroad, it’s best to go while your young”.

そのうち

木村さんはそのうち来ると思います。

Ok, the last one here…or at least I think that’s about it. Used in this way, you’re expressing the fact that… 「今からあまり時間がたたないうちに」or in other words… “I think Kimura-san will be here very shortly”. そのうち is mainly used just in speech, so if you wanted to used something similar in witting, you’d probably use いずれ instead. Oh, and you can also use そのうち like this…

A: また一緒に食事に行こうよ。
B: ええ、そのうちにね。

A: Come on, let’s go out to eat again sometime.
B: Yeah…someday.

I don't know if any of that really makes any sense or not, but I hope it can be of some use to you guys.

N = noun
Na = Na-adjective
A-い = i-adjective

EDIT: Thanks for the corrections coco ;)
Last edited by Justin on Sun 12.18.2005 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

Postby pippa » Sun 12.18.2005 9:40 pm

The following is from "Japanese Grammar: A Guide for Students". This textbook may only be available in Australia and New Zealand.

Used to express 'while' when used with verbs and "when/while when used with adjectives.
Examples:
日本にいる間、かぶきを見ました。 I saw Kabuki while I was in Japan.
私が小さい間、母は仕事をしていませんでした。 My mother didn't work when I was little.

うちに
Used to express 'while/ during' when used with a positive verb, and 'before' when used with a negative verb.
Examples:
赤ちゃんが 寝ているうちに 私は せんたくをしました。I did the washing while my baby was sleeping.
ゆうびんきょくが しまらないうちに 手紙を 出してきます。I'm going to post the letter before the post office closes.

*In many cases, うちに is interchangeable with 間. The main difference between them is that 間 indicates duration of time, whereas うちに is when you want to imply that you're doing something to take advantage of a situation before it changes.

Expresses 'when'.
Examples:
日本へ行く時、いつも おみやげを 買って行きます。When I go to Japan, I always buy gifts/souvenirs.
学生の時、よく勉強しました。I studied hard when I was a student.

Hope that helps.;)
pippa

Postby lomagu » Mon 12.19.2005 7:46 am

wow, thanks so much for your efforts you guys. I think I'm gonna have to print this out & read it thouroughly. I might have questions later.. haha.

By the way, I didn't even know there was Nのうち. I was vaguely familiar with Vうち and Adjうち though. 勉強になった!頑張るぜ!;)
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby ryuubu » Tue 12.20.2005 12:25 pm

Wow I have the Japanese Grammar: A guide for students lying right next to me. Very good book.
ryuubu

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems