Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - heart of my?

heart of my?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

heart of my?

Postby Hatsu Koi » Wed 12.21.2005 10:39 pm

I'm trying write this sentace 'Hayasaka Erika, princess of my heart'. I know 'Princess' is 'ヒメ' and 'My Heart' is ''わがこころ but i can't seem to find 'Of' anywhere. IS there Of in Japanese? Also, I understand the word order in japanese is Subject-Object-Verb, so would the sentance go (in plain english) Hayasaka Erika my heart princess of'? I know in japanese, there'd be 'Wa' inbetween Erika and My, and an 'O' between Heart and Princess. Is that correct?

I'm sorry if I seem alittle bit annoying, but I just want to get it correct. Thank you in advance.
Hatsu Koi

RE: heart of my?

Postby mandolin » Wed 12.21.2005 11:38 pm

'of' isn't a verb. It's best to stop trying to translate literally, because in most cases, literal translations just don't exist. From one language to another, substituting words will never fit the bill.

hayasaka erika wa, watashi no kokoro no hime desu.

Literally, As for hayasaka erika, me's heart's princess is.

That sucks because literal sucks. Slightly less literal:

As for hayasaka erika, she is the princess of the heart of me.

Although... I still hate the idea of attempting to transliterate something that's obviously meant to hold poetic meaning, as what is culturally poetic in english may just be silly-sounding in japanese without cultural context.

And I'm afraid I don't know if this phrase would be sweet/romantic, or just plain dumb, because I lack the cultural background.

Good luck, though.
mandolin

Postby Hatsu Koi » Wed 12.21.2005 11:53 pm

Actuly, It's not meant to hold any poetic meaning. Thank you for translating it, and for clearing up the entire 'of' mess.

Good luck to you too.
Hatsu Koi

Postby AJBryant » Thu 12.22.2005 11:20 am

For the record, "waga kokoro no hime(sama)" sounds sweet in a classical sort of way.

If you REALLY want to sound classical, go with "wagakokoro ga hime". Try this -- if you're writing TO Hayasaka Erika, go with "wagakokoro ga hime yo" -- that final "yo" is a vocative (like the "O" in "O Lord, hear me") and kinda old-fashioned. But it sounds bitchin'.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Thu 12.22.2005 11:04 pm

AJBryant wrote:
But it sounds bitchin'.

Tony

ROFL
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby AJBryant » Fri 12.23.2005 1:53 am

Well, I like that old stuff. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby anouuh » Fri 12.23.2005 2:05 am

hayasaka-chan? you read megatokyo too?! AWRIGHT!!! im gonna go catch up on the story line.
anouuh

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems