Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hiragana combinations

Hiragana combinations

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Hiragana combinations

Postby appleraja » Sun 12.25.2005 3:33 am

hey, i was wondering for the combinations of hiragana such as kya kyo kyu bya byu byo, why is it ki + ya? instead of using ki cant u use ka + ya = kya? maybe theirs no answer and its just a unknown rule ?
t

hanks for your time :) happy holidays
appleraja

RE: Hiragana combinations

Postby mandolin » Sun 12.25.2005 3:43 am

It's always in the -i row combined with ya-yu-yo.

The 'i' sound is produced with the same jaw/tongue position as the 'y' sound.
mandolin

Postby Infidel » Sun 12.25.2005 3:49 am

why do we spell house with that extra e when it's silent? Why not just hous? Why do we spell can with a c instead of a k? Why is philip spelled with the ph instead of an f (fillip)?

Really, the reason doen't matter. Just learn the correct spellings and move on..

Though to answer your question, if you split up the kya sound it sounds much more like ki-ya than it sounds like ka-ya
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Christian_ » Mon 12.26.2005 1:53 am

ishnar wrote:
Why do we spell house with that extra "e" when it's silent? Why not just hous? Why do we spell can with a "c" instead of a "k"? Why is philip spelled with the "ph" instead of an "f" (Fillip)?
I just would like to add that I read something about Brittish English having changes made to it so we would spelll things like this:
Photo = Foto
Phone = Fone
House = Hous
Cookie = Kookie
They are (from what I read) just getting rid of silent letters and things like 2 letters making the same sound.
Anyway sorry if thats off topic. I just thought I would add my 2 cents.;)
Last edited by Christian_ on Mon 12.26.2005 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christian_

Postby Ongakuka » Mon 12.26.2005 9:09 am

Kurisuchan wrote:
I just would like to add that I read something about Brittish English having changes made to it so we would spelll things like this:
Photo = Foto
Phone = Fone
House = Hous
Cookie = Kookie
They are (from what I read) just getting rid of silent letters and things like 2 letters making the same sound.

Ugh! How ghastly. Imagine someone telling you to come and recieve a Fone Kawl... It's like scrapping Kanji and writing everything in Katakana:o
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby LordDisa » Mon 12.26.2005 11:25 am

Kurisuchan wrote:
Photo = Foto
Phone = Fone
House = Hous
Cookie = Kookie
Anyway sorry if thats off topic. I just thought I would add my 2 cents.;)

I don't know.. when it comes to spelling things phonetically, I imagine American English is still doing better than British English. For example, they spell "Lester" as "Leicester." wtf.
ひらがな: 100% カタカナ: 100%
漢字パート一: 8% 漢字パート二: 0%
文法: 0% 語彙: 0%
LordDisa

Postby keikanneko » Mon 12.26.2005 4:10 pm

Of course,you cant forget about slang, american english is full of those wonderful words like crunk, jawn, ya'll, and my favorite yous guys.

I think the funniest moment i had with slang is when i was in kryzkstan. SOme girl at the counter was telling me about her country, and i said "thats tight". she looked at me funny,i had to explain to her how americans used it.
頭が変 白人男の子
keikanneko

Postby AJBryant » Mon 12.26.2005 7:02 pm

Of course,you cant forget about slang, american english is full of those wonderful words like crunk, jawn, ya'll, and my favorite yous guys.

You're conflating "slang" with "dialect."

"Y'all," for example, isn't slang -- it's just a dialectical rendering of "you all" -- itself a dialectical variation of "you (plural)."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems