Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - LOT OF QUESTIONS...

LOT OF QUESTIONS...

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

LOT OF QUESTIONS...

Postby Isao » Sun 01.01.2006 7:02 am

Please help me with this sentence. It’s from a modern Japanese novel called “緑の月”. Although I have a Japanese skill equivalent with 3-kyuu JLPT, I still can’t understand the entire sentence ‘cause it’s too long. I have difficult separating into smaller parts for translation. (Please give me some guidelines in analyzing such a long sentence too.)

(…)
それを言うと、じゃあ学校にいるあいだだけでもそのスイッチを入れるのはおよしなさいと両親は入った。
(…)
And please tell me the grammatical functions of EACH part in the sentence too. The “じゃあ” comes before “学校” make me confuse.

Another problems. Please tell me the kanji of all the regular word such as:
これ、それ、あれ、こちら、そちら、あちら、ここ、そこ、あそこ、どこ、この、その、あの、いる、ある
I want to know this to improve writing. Besides, is it common to write those words in kanji nowadays?

When using IME, some words have many kanji associated, how can I know what is the right one?
例: きれいな is 綺麗な or 奇麗な ?

Some common verb is added after a verb in –TE form, should these verbs be written in Hiragana or Kanji?
Such as TE ARU, TE IRU, TE OKU, TE MIRU, TE HOSHII…

I am not a Japanese. My teacher is a Japanese. I want to exchange with teacher a 100-yen bill as a souvenir. Can you teach me a simple sentence for that purpose?

Sorry for asking so much. I just joined this forum yesterday. English is not my main language so perhaps it was a little … terrible.
[mail][center]ーーー魁正宗ーーー[/center][/mail]
Isao

RE: LOT OF QUESTIONS...

Postby clay » Sun 01.01.2006 7:29 am

Welcome to theJapanesePage.com!

I have to run so I don't have time to help you grammatically, but I'll just let you know the smallest denomination for bills in Japanese money is 1000 yen. Here is a money page that should give you an idea of how the currency is setup:
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/readarticle.php?article_id=90
(Note: this page is a bit old. The scans are for the old paper money. Japan introduced new paper money last year. No more Natsume Soseki!)

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby lomagu » Sun 01.01.2006 8:32 am

I can help with part of your question. For alll those common words you listed you would just write the hiragana. Many common words in Japanese don't use kanji. You just have to memorize which ones have kanji and which ones don't. As for knowing what kanji to use for a certain word, you just have to study and remember it. good luck!
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 01.01.2006 8:50 am

Isao wrote:
(…)
それを言うと、じゃあ学校にいるあいだだけでもそのスイッチを入れるのはおよしなさいと両親は入った。
(…)
And please tell me the grammatical functions of EACH part in the sentence too. The “じゃあ” comes before “学校” make me confuse.

First, here's it in English:
If you say that... well, My parents always told me to stop switching on (my cell phone) at least while I'm at school...

I'm going to break it down by phrase, and then by each particle. I hope that helps.

それを言うと -- if you say that
それ -- that
を -- (object marker)
言う -- say
と -- when

じゃあ -- well
学校にいるあいだだけでも -- at least while I'm at school
学校 -- school
に -- (location marker)
いる-- am (to exist)
あいだ -- while

だけでも -- at least
だけ -- only
でも -- even if

そのスイッチを入れるのは -- to switch that on
その -- that
スイッチ -- switch
を -- (object marker)
入れる -- put in (in this case, switch on)
の-- (makes the verb a noun clause)
は -- (subject marker)

およしなさいと両親は入った。
Your kanji here is wrong. I believe it should be 言った, not 入った.

およしなさい -- stop it
と -- (speech marker)
両親は -- my parents
言った。-- said

Isao wrote:
Another problems. Please tell me the kanji of all the regular word such as:
これ、それ、あれ、こちら、そちら、あちら、ここ、そこ、あそこ、どこ、この、その、あの、いる、ある
I want to know this to improve writing. Besides, is it common to write those words in kanji nowadays?

There are not Kanji for all Japanese words. None of these words are written in Kanji. If there are Kanji for these words, then they have not been used for a long time.

Isao wrote:
When using IME, some words have many kanji associated, how can I know what is the right one?
例: きれいな is 綺麗な or 奇麗な ?

In this case, both are correct. For multiple entries, the IME will often give you a hint as to which kanji is correct by writing the usage to the right in a yellow bubble. Other than that, you just have to learn which kanji go with which meanings. For example, the difference between 会う and 合う.

Isao wrote:
Some common verb is added after a verb in –TE form, should these verbs be written in Hiragana or Kanji?
Such as TE ARU, TE IRU, TE OKU, TE MIRU, TE HOSHII…

Those verbs should not be written in Kanji, in most cases.

Hope that helps
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Isao » Sun 01.01.2006 10:49 am

Thank you all !

@Harisenbon: yes, I typed that kanji wrong. Heh, I thought "じゃあ" must come alone before anything else in a speech. How can it appear in middle ?

I believe THERE ARE kanji for IRU and ARU. But when I typed using Ime, it appears a lot, I dunno what to choose.

For ex:
Neko ga iru -> what is the kanji for this IRU ?
Hana ga aru -> what is the kanji for this ARU ?

Assume there is a conversion between A and B.
Assume A and B are waiting for a TV program.
Assume that TV program comes at 9 h.

If it's 8h and A want to expose lateness. He should say "Mou hachi ji deshita". That "mou" means lateness.

But what if B want to expose earlyness. What should he say in Japanese. The English may be "It's just 7h30".
Please help.
Isao

Postby Ongakuka » Sun 01.01.2006 11:17 am

Iru and Aru are written in Hiragana, whether they have a Kanji or not. Don't be put down, there are plenty of other Kanji to learn...;)

To say "It's only 7:30" I believe "mada" is used.

mada shichiji han desu yo! = It's only 7:30!:o

And yes I mispelled "to." Bravo Ongakuka...*EDIT*
Last edited by Ongakuka on Sun 01.01.2006 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Isao » Sun 01.01.2006 11:28 am

Uh? I believe that sentence is "IT ISN'T 7:30 YET!" ?
Isao

Postby Ongakuka » Sun 01.01.2006 12:59 pm

Dictionary definition of "mada:"

1. as yet; still
2.Not yet (with negative)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 01.01.2006 10:54 pm

Isao wrote:
Heh, I thought "じゃあ" must come alone before anything else in a speech. How can it appear in middle ?

Beacuse it's beginning of a phrase. It's kind of like "well" in this sentence
"if you put it that way... well... you could say that monkeys fly."

Isao wrote:
I believe THERE ARE kanji for IRU and ARU. But when I typed using Ime, it appears a lot, I dunno what to choose.

Sorry, I must have missed those in the list
いる − 居る to exist
ある − 有る to exist
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby AJBryant » Sun 01.01.2006 11:04 pm

ある − 有る to exist

Don't forget 或る and 在る. Slightly different nuances of usage. Makes it much easier to make all those ある into hiragana. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby amego » Mon 01.02.2006 12:32 am

hihi Isao when u use IME, when there's a bunch of stuff, take note of the words *常用外 (out of normal usage) just beside certain words...this will tell u that e words are just well, "unusable", thus narrowing ur uncertainty by alot....if still end up helpless, just randomly pick a word and plug it into google and analyse the results....haha...usually more results means u r probably on the right track...but e more important thing is to learn it e right way...haha...cheers =p :D
amego

Postby Isao » Mon 01.02.2006 1:43 am

Ok, guys. Just put is simple. I don't wanna use the Hiragana version of IRU and ARU. Just tell me the Kanji of these verbs IN MOST CASES.

When I use Ime with sentence like "Samuku natta". It always force me to use "natta" in Hiragana. But I know there is Kanji for that verb. Is it a rule that ADJ + NARU, naru MUST be HIRAGANA ?
Isao

Postby AJBryant » Mon 01.02.2006 1:54 am

Do you want to write strange, odd, abnormal Japanese, or write it like you know what you are doing? If the latter, USE KANA.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby mandolin » Mon 01.02.2006 1:54 am

... it seems to me like you feel as if you're getting cheated out of something if you don't use all the kanji possible. Or maybe you feel as though japanese actually use the kanji and we're telling you to use hiragana because you're a non-native speaker.

You should do what the japanese do if you're looking for fluency, and a lot of things that MIGHT actually have kanji just aren't written that way anymore. Many kanji have become obsolete.

It's good to want to know them in case you come across them in reading, but using them with regularity will just be seen as wierd.
Last edited by mandolin on Mon 01.02.2006 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mandolin

Postby Isao » Mon 01.02.2006 2:01 am

Oh...yes...
But IRU and ARU aren't obsolete, are they ?
I don't mean anything, just want to be able to read Japanese novels (i have a lot). They have extreme complicate Kanjis. Even まで is written as 迄. I am taking a course on Classical Japanese but the teacher is too strict for me to ask anything. I must do studying on my own.

Another questions:
we all know that NU is an old-fashioned way of NAI. But what is the old way of NAKATTA ?
Isao

Next

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems