Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - anata...

anata...

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

RE: anata...

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 01.17.2006 7:41 pm

sgtkwol wrote:
I work in a call center and I think that is the polite level that we should learn to speak (notice the we instead of you). It's never "you need to reboot the computer", always "we need to reboot the computer"...a little off topic, but is "we" a good substitute when appropriate?

Using we for being polite is an English thing. It doesn't work in Japanese. People would just think you're weird. ;)
「ダーリンの頭ん中」 gives a chapter to that very subject. It's really interesting if you have a chance to pick it up.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

RE: anata...

Postby Sachi » Tue 01.17.2006 8:09 pm

Well, Mandolin (and everyone else) basically said all there is to say, but here's something I've noticed (and may be totally pointless, but perhaps it has some use.)

In songs, poetry, ect., they use "anata". It's not written about anyone (usually), so instead of using the person's name like in spoken Japanese, they use "anata". So it exists, and is good to know, but mostly used in unspecific things, ne? Such as the Evangelion anime theme song:

".....aoi kaze ga ima
mune no DOA wo tataite mo
watashi dake wo tada mitsumete
hohoende'ru anata...."

".....A blue wind is now
knocking at the door to your heart, and yet
you are merely gazing at me
and smiling......"

See? I hope that amounts to something. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. Oh, and I got these lyrics from animelyrics.com, to clarify.

http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/eva/ngetnshi.htm
Last edited by Sachi on Tue 01.17.2006 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sachi

Previous

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems