Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - oo and ou

oo and ou

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

oo and ou

Postby kaywala » Tue 01.17.2006 12:29 am

I got really confused when I was reading over how to pronounce some Japanese words. It said that every vowel, when doubled is just elongated like ii is just held longer and this rule applies to all except o which need ou to be elongated. But then it goes, watch out for oo because oo and ou are completly different....x_x I'm really really confused xD
kaywala

RE: oo and ou

Postby Infidel » Tue 01.17.2006 12:57 am

in 1 word oo or ou both are long o.
In two words put together, you have to know how they are pronounced seperatly and it doesn't really change. If you have a verb ending in ou then the final u will be u not o.

At least that has been my understanding of it.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 01.17.2006 1:24 am

Well, the SPELLING of おお and おう are different, but they are pronounced the same (unless I've been doing it wrong all these years and no one's bothered to correct me).

For example,
おおきい and おうきい are pronounced the same, but the first one is a word, and the second one is not. Perhaps that's what is meant by be careful?
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby SaigoNoBan » Tue 01.17.2006 6:56 am

Hello!

I'm grateful you are talking about this, because just this morning I spent all the trip to work wondering if the final two vowels in 思う are a hyatus or not... Or, to put it simpler, is it read "omoo" or "omo-u"?

Thanks! have a nice day everyone,
Max
とうとう戻ってきました!^_^ お待たせしました
SaigoNoBan

Postby kaywala » Tue 01.17.2006 8:47 am

Thank you ^^ That's what I thought ishnar I should burn the book I got it's so confusing x_x But I think my Genki text book is coming in today! *rejoices*

And I was also wondering if you could clear up whispered vowels for me ^^
kaywala

Postby AJBryant » Tue 01.17.2006 12:29 pm

Well, the SPELLING of おお and おう are different, but they are pronounced the same (unless I've been doing it wrong all these years and no one's bothered to correct me).

It's been my experience that they're the same UNLESS someone is pronouncing them slowly to be really clear (as in, a bad phone connection, or providing a phonetic spelling) like when someone might say, "The fire is at the ware-house on one oh four West Com-stock A-ve-nue," into the phone.

Not that that sort of situation comes up often, but it's worth noting that *then* the kana would revert.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Tue 01.17.2006 2:56 pm

Harisenbon wrote:

For example,
おおきい and おうきい are pronounced the same, but the first one is a word, and the second one is not. Perhaps that's what is meant by be careful?

Yup, That's why I said 1 word either ou or oo are pronounced oo specifically because of ookii. With the exception of verb endings, like omou = o-mo-u not o-mo-o at least I've actually heard it pronounced this way. Although I now realize my explaination could be unclear in volational endings. verb-shou is still verb-shoo. The final u rule was based on the dictionary form not a conjugated form.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 01.17.2006 7:44 pm

No no, your explanation was fine. I you just responded as I was reading through all the threads and responding. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems